• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Today I decided to treat myself. I went shopping for a new .22 caliber rifle. I looked at three of them that caught my eye and made me smile.

#1 Henry .22 caliber lever action model HOO1. Wood Stock, forearm, 1-16 twist, iron sights. $292.00 The wood while pretty was nothing special. Very well balanced for such a little rifle. The store refused to remove the trigger lock so I could not examine the lever smoothness or the trigger as well. Seems like a well built rifle. The iron sights were nothing too special. I have shot this particular rifle in the past and found it to be very accurate and smooth in operation.

#2 Sig Sauer model 522 in .22 caliber. 10 shot magazine. 1-16 twist. Peep sights. Polymer stock and forearm. Stock is folding and extendable (the folding part would not mean much to me). 6.4 pounds in weight (which surprised me because it looks like a plastic toy). $497.00 It was very well balanced for an assault type looking rifle, shouldering very nice and coming to eye each time. The trigger pull is said to be around four pounds, but they would not let me play with the trigger part in the store. With the Picatinny rail up top, I figured I could throw a Red Dot on it. Would be a lot of fun to shoot by the looks of it. Additional larger capacity magazines can be obtained "I was told."

#3 Smith & Wesson model M&P 15-22 in .22 caliber. 25 shot magazine. Semi Automatic. Cost $427.00 This rifle reminds me of the ones police carry for some reason. The Stock was extendable. The Picatinny rail up top would allow the installment of a Red Dot. The rifle TO ME NOW.. did not shoulder as well as the Sig Sauer. I had to constantly move my face to get the peep sight lineed up. Then I shortened the stock one click in, and it lined up much better for me. Weight of the rifle is 5.5 pounds, almost a pound lighter then the Sig. That surprised me. The trigger is rated at 7 pounds. Can this be right? Also it is 33 inches over all length, two inches shorter then the Sig Sauer. And the barrel is a 1-15 twist.

I did some searching on the internet. I watched videos of both being shot. The Smith & Wesson seemed to have feeding problems. The Sig Sauer in the video never jammed or failed to feed. Also in a video of side by side comparison by two shooters... both complemented the Sig's trigger and action over the Smith's. Accuracy wise, they were both pretty good with open sights (one video) and with a Red Dot.

I read reviews from manufacturer sights and of course they were all glowing. I was wondering what experience any of you might have with the model of rifle, or the basic style. Also whether you've heard any horror stories of jamming, or poor accuracy.

thanks..

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

The difference in weight probably has to do with there being more polymer parts in the Smith than the Sig.

Personally, I've had better luck with Lever guns being more accurate than semi-autos in rimfire.
Posted Image

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Well I have shot that Henry. My brother has one. And it is a very nice shooter. But the lever does not excite me as much as that Sig. Watching videos of that Sig being put through the ropes was kind of impressive. But I agree, a lever gun is hard to beat.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I don't know anything about the ones that you are eyeballing. I did notice that you never mentioned the Golden 39 as a lever action. I love mine.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Well I was in a gun shop today just walking around, drooling. Imagine that, me in a gun store. And I decided to get a new .22 rifle. He had the one Henry and its the same one my brother has. A nice rifle. They are good shooters. But then I saw the Sig Sauer and the Smith & Wesson .22 caliber assault style rifles. He also had an American Tactical Import GSG 47 RIA .22 rifle. It looks a LOT like an AK-47. And its funny, that is one rifle, I never really liked. I have shot an AK-47 in 5.56 and it was fun, but nothing special to me. So that .22 just did not appeal to me.

And actually when I shoot .22 I normally shoot at spinning targets. One reason I like my handguns for that. And just the sight of that Sig, I could picture that out there throwing lead at a spinner target. Also I watched a video on You Tube and a man took four brands of cheap ammo he purchased at Wal Mart. Some Federal, Remington, Winchester, and CCI. He had one round that just did not fire. But that Sig Sauer did not care what brand of Ammo it was given. It fed smooth and he was ringing targets with he RED DOT scope on the Sig like crazy.

On another video, a person had a Sig Sauer with a RED DOT. He shot at a red spray paint can at 100 yards. His first shot, he pulled the trigger and paint goes all over. Now a .22 at 100 yards is good shooting. Especially for a RED DOT. So I think the Sig has the kind of accuracy I am looking for.

I guess down deep I kind of made up my mind.. haven't I?

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well, the only one I sort of have experience with is the Henry. I own a Golden Boy model .22. But, as you've already shot one similar that's not much help to really get into. (Obviously a fantastic rifle. I like the "wild west" thing. So, a lever is right up my alley. But, there's different strokes for different folks.)

I wouldn't hesitate to own a Sig anything. But then I can't really say anything negative about Smith either. So, I reckon it's good you've pretty much already made up your mind 'cause I'd have to buy all three. LOL

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

I also considered an American Tactical Import GSG-5 which looks just like the MP5 but in .22 caliber. That also has great reviews, but I have checked a number of stores and they are like.. disappeared. The video of that rifle was also real encouraging and they are less money. I just decided a little while ago, I want a tactical rifle. One I can be totally wicked with.

Jeremiah.. If you were going to consider a Sig Sauer pistol... in 9mm, which one do you like for concealed carry.

#8 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

.I've shot both the Sig and the Smith. Now lets be honest, one is not buying either one because of its drop dead accuracy, We buy to go to the range and tear up targets at 30yds as fast as one can pull the trigger on that assault style rifle and have fun burning up ammo. Not that they arn't accurate, but one would look silly plinking one shot at a time, slowly, with that gun.I love Sigs, have never really gotten over Smith caving into the anti's. Nothing bad to say about either gun though

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Jeremiah.. If you were going to consider a Sig Sauer pistol... in 9mm, which one do you like for concealed carry.

Tough call for me, personally, because I've had a change in carry philosophy over the years. When I was starting out, I'd pack a full size frame and think nothing of it. But, as time has gone by, I just don't like the weight/bulk. For a while there it got to the point where I just wasn't even bothering to pack. Well, a piece not carried isn't helping. I think that the more I have been around firearms training/safety type people/environments specifically geared toward concealing that I have also realized that the chances you're going to need "heavy" firepower is somewhat remote. ("They" say you're most likely to be point blank to your would-be mugger, or whatever. If you're actually caught in a fire fight just out on the street minding your own business then you're already in a world of poo no matter what you're concealing anyway.) As such, the word sub-compact has become big in my vocabulary. (Perhaps even sub-sub-compact, if that's a word, as my beloved Glock 27 sub-compact is even a little weighty for my liking these days.) If I were buying a dedicated conceal carry Sig Sauer for myself today it would likely be the P238 SAO (or P938 SAO if I wanted 9mm). I like a piece I can literally dump into a pocket and practically forget about (and don't mind carrying in condition one, personally, with a decent pocket holster). It's not only about comfort, but I feel it looks as if I am going for my wallet to hand it over rather than pulling a piece. Who knows if that little bit of deception just may make a difference one day. If that isn't your preference though, I'd have a look at the P290 DAO.
Clear as mud, eh?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

That is a nice small pistol. Seven rounds of 9mm would get you out of a lot of trouble. Especially at close range. A double tap with a 9mm is very lethal. That will be one I am going to look at. thanks much.

On a side note, I watched a video where a person was talking about a .22 caliber pistol as home defense. He justified it as.. with a CCI 40 grain solid bullet you get approximately 8 inches of penetration. And that a .22 is easy to shoot, and easy to practice a lot with. It is also shooter friendly and normally produce better shooters. He had some interesting points. As he was saying.. put two of them in their chest, it might not knock them down, but it will make them wonder if what you have is worth it. And if you must put them down.. keep shooting.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Also I made my decision on the rifle. I am going to spend the extra money and get the Sig Sauer 522 tactical rifle. Every video kept stressing the same thing over and over.. it don't jam, it feeds perfect, and accuracy is exceptional. I also talked to a 522 owner, and he was telling me he has a Ruger 10/22 also. And he said.. he'd take the Sig any day over the Ruger. Well that made me think... and I did like the feel of the Sig. So all that responded.. thanks much.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Just remember my friend that it is a breech loader so do not go stuffing anything down from the muzzle.Lol.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

I will put a sign on it...Posted Image

#14 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Today, I went to the city and purchased my Sig Sauer 522 Tactical Field Rifle at a Wal Mart. Because it is the field model it has a 10 shot magazine. Peep sights also.

Posted Image

OBSERVATIONS...

The rifle is very well built. No rattles or loose feel to it. Even though the stock will fold to the side, it is rock solid. The one flaw I discovered quite by accident was the peep sight does not like to stay in place. The rifle feeds smooth and sure, with no jams or failure to feeds, and I shot approximately 200+ rounds today. The trigger is a real surprise it has a long travel, but breaks very light and clean. Very smooth actually. I was surprised that the trigger was this good. Just as fast as you want to pull that trigger it fires. I actually towards the end of the shoot was double tapping the rifle and it handled just fine.

The failure of the rifle is the peep sights. Like I noted. I fired the first nine rounds as the magazine does not hold ten rounds, the rifle does if you load one and then load the magazine. But I discovered the peep sight problems kind of quickly. I had spinner targets at 35 yards and took careful shots at them. I managed to spin one, but the spinner was not one I was aiming at. So I then OPENED UP on the spinner and did manage to his another one. But again it was not the spinner I was aiming at.

So I moved a paper target in to 16 yards. I thought it was 13 yards but the range finder told me I was wrong. I then remembered I had moved the shooting bench the other day when doing wood. Aiming at the target the rifle shot far to the right and low. So I made a sight adjustment.

Loaded the magazine, went to shoot and the rear peep was not there. Looked around and found it. Put it back in the rifle and this time really tightened the screws down. Shot the next group and again, still to the right. So I moved the sight again. Now I loaded all nine.

Posted Image

I shot group A rather quickly. Then decided to calm down and shoot.

Group B was the next adjustment up. Group C was an adjustment to the left and I discovered the sight had moved down the ramp a little. So I moved the peep up again and shot Group D. Now I decided to really commit and moved the peep far to the left... Group E was shot. On the last two shots, I noticed the peep had moved again. Now I was kind of upset. So I made a final adjustment to the peep sight and thought I put the screws in good and deep. I then shot Group F.

Posted Image

To double check the sights for the last time, I picked out a small circle on the target and shot at that. That is nine rounds.

After that I went back to the spinner targets and was just wheeling them around like a windmill. Nothing to it. I then shot at some square gongs at 50 yards and could hear lots of pinging sounds coming back. So I knew I was in the ball park. Finally I decided I would stop and clean the rifle.

CLEANING THE RIFLE...

This is one easy rifle to clean. Two pins that move aside and the top part of the receiver comes right out. You then lift the bolt and guts out and clean the barrel, then the bolt, trigger assembly and all the interior parts. And the rifle goes back together just as easy as it came apart... until the surprise. Putting the upper assembly back into the lower assembly, I look at the top and .. you guessed it.. No Peep sight. I tore the house apart and could not find it. I was a little upset at this point. Then I went outside and walked my path from the shooting bench to the house and there was my peep sight... laying there on the ground. relief was apparent. I then went in and put it back on the rifle, and lock tightened the screws in place. So we will see if that will hold.

I really like the rifle. Talk about fun to shoot. You can double tap this thing and it just keeps firing . And if the peep sight don't fall off or move, its a pretty accurate rifle. I have ordered a tactical scope for the rifle, and that should be here next week. Good thing I picked up two bricks of Winchester shells.. this thing is a blast. Plus I want to order two of the Black Dog 25 shot magazines for the rifle. Just for a little fun.

Now this is not my hunting rifle. This is my fun rifle. And so far the Sig Sauer other then that peep sight.. is fitting the bill.

#15 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

.I've shot both the Sig and the Smith. Now lets be honest, one is not buying either one because of its drop dead accuracy, We buy to go to the range and tear up targets at 30yds as fast as one can pull the trigger on that assault style rifle and have fun burning up ammo. Not that they arn't accurate, but one would look silly plinking one shot at a time, slowly, with that gun.I love Sigs, have never really gotten over Smith caving into the anti's. Nothing bad to say about either gun though

Told ya so!!!! lol. Gotta love tearing up them targets!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users