Daisy Airguns

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

For my son's 4th birthday I got him a Dasiy Buck air rifle. So me being me, I went on the Daisy website just to check it out. I was astonished by the amount of "Safe gun handling" information that they provide on the website, as well as the programs they have in place. They are based in Rogers, AR. and have many programs dedicated to instructing beginners on safe handling practices. I decided to send them an email complimenting them on this and they actually took the time to write back. So here is the correspondence if anyone is interested.

"To whomever may be the recipient at Daisy,
I just purchased a Daisy Buck for my 4 year old son as a birthday present. I chose the Buck because it was the model I was given when I was 4. Mine was a great little gun, as I hope my son’s will be. Mine which was manufactured around 1984, had a hollow plastic stock, and lasted long enough that I was ready for a more powerful air rifle. Growing up around firearms, air rifles, archery equipment and slingshots all my life, as well as spending 4 years with the Marines as a machinegunner, I am a very strong believer in “Start them young+ Teach them right = Keep them safe”. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the new models of the Buck actually have a wooden stock rather than the plastic one I had. This is a tradition started with me that I hope continues for many generations to come. I also hope Daisy is there for every future generation that comes after I am long gone. Upon accessing the Daisy website I was intrigued by the amount of effort that is put into emphasizing the safe handling of your products. Most firearm/air rifle manufacturers post the “10 rules of gun safety” or “10 commandments of gun safety” whichever moniker you prefer, but Daisy goes to the extent of providing detailed information on the possibility of ricochets and how to build a safe homemade target and backstop. Kudos to Daisy for being a company that promotes the type of image that all in your field should strive for. Daisy will continue to earn my business whenever the need for an air rifle arises.

Sincerely
Terry W. Freeman"

"Terry: Your email to our customer service department was forwarded to my attention. First of all, thanks for taking the time to write.

The Model 105B, which is the forerunner to the Model 105 Buck BB gun, was first introduced in 1979 and was referred to as the Cub. In 1999, we added the wood stock and changed the name to Buck. We also make a Model 10 which is identical to the 105 except that we added a wood forearm, similar to but smaller than the one on a Red Ryder. We would agree with you that young people who learn respect for airguns and firearms and proper handling early in life from a parent or mentor are far less likely to misuse or be careless with one in the future. We only wish there were more parents like you!

Because we recognize that a Daisy airgun is most everyone's first gun, we continually emphasize safe gun handling and also invest in programs which teach gun safety and marksmanship skills to young people. There are some excellent programs such as those administered by 4-H Shooting Sports, the Royal Rangers, American Legion, the NRA, and others. Most of these programs are open to boys and girls over 8 years old. If your son is interested, most of them offer an opportunity to compete in matches at the local, state and national level.

Thanks for what you, as a parent, are doing and please know that we appreciate your service to our nation. If you ever have the opportunity to come to Rogers, Arkansas, please come see us. You'd probably enjoy the audio tour and displays at the Daisy Museum. Sincerely, Joe."

Semper Fi

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Daisy air rifles I believe caused more smiles and excitement for young shooters then anything I can think of. I can remember like it was yesterday, the Christmas morning I opened the greatest Christmas gift a young boy could ever dream of getting. I can remember my first Daisy BB gun, and the joy it brought me, not just because of the shooting, but of the time my Dad and I spent together, learning gun safety, shooting skills, and hours of just being together.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Cayugad, oh I remember it was my 4th birthday, and I heard my brother(17 years my senior) pull into the yard in his matte white '65 malibu and rushed to the window, as he got out he hid something behind his back. When he got to the front porch he walked over to the window I was standing in and pulled my BB gun out from behind his back. I was so excited I almost jumped THROUGH the window. We spent the rest of the evening out in the yard shooting. My son's biggest problem with the one he has is that the back stock is too long for him to put it in his shoulder, and that's presenting a problem. It is also too short for me to put in my shoulder. So it's gonna be a little while before I can really get him shooting, but it's there for when we're ready.
Semper Fi

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

My brother who was older got a Daisy BB gun and it had a peep sight on it. We used to hang a big nail on a string in the old field stone basement, and then an old cow hide behind that to stop the BB's and roll them into the bottom of that old hide. We recycled even back then. And we got to where we'd shoot and hit that nail and make it swing. I think that is where my love of shooting all started. And I've been shooting rifles and handguns ever since.

Then when I hit fifteen I purchased a 5mm Sheridan pump single shot pellet rifle. 8 pumps is all it took to make that thing deadly powerful. My buddy had the Sheridan Blue Streak and I had the Sheridan Silver Streak. We'd moved into the city because Dad got a good job there, but at night in the winter, my friend and I would go rabbit hunting in the moon light on the snow, along the rail road tracks. We took a lot of rabbits with them rifles. I still have that Sheridan pellet rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Amazing the memories a bb gun or a pellet rifle can bring back isn't it?
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users