$&%&$#*&^

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well all, I got the results back from an MRI today that I had done on Monday. From my limited understanding it sounds like the protruded disk I had a few years ago has went to herniated....... They have a neuroSURGEON that is supposed to call me.... Which I really wish it was just a neurologist but what can ya do? I'm not sure what the treatment plan is, but I'm in pain and want something done quickly.... Hopefully I get the call tomorrow, and get some idea what is going to happen in the near future. I'm hoping it's something that can be done with minimally invasive surgery, but that remains to be seen. Thoughts and prayers will be appreciated.
Semper Fi

#2 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Prayers for ya Terry from someone that knows exactly what you are going through and whats ahead.
I don't know the extent of your problem. But I will offer this piece of advice. What ever the doctor tells you NOT to do, LISTEN!
If he says 10 lbs. max, don't lfit more.
Another piece of advice, if you can avoid being fused, do so.
Once you get a fusion you are on a long downward spiral.
Fusion is a last resort.
Seek out other opinions, other doctors and other courses of action.
Best of luck to ya.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

J, talked to someone I know and he said a few years ago he had a surgery done where they just trimmed off the disk that is sticking out and stitched him up.... I'm hoping that is the most viable option as the disk pressing on nerves is the reason for the pain. Not looking forward to surgery of any kind, but that sounds like my best option from what I understand....
Semper Fi

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Explore every alternative option to spinal surgery first. Seen enough spinal surgeries go bad to be very wary of them.

Edited by Leo, 16 May 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Posted Image

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Leo, I understand..... The neurosurgeon that I'm going to just did surgery on my Dad on Saturday. So far the only discomfort Dad has had is where they put the needles to inject the "cement" for the fractured vertabrae.... He went from almost unable to walk to "getting around good for a 70 year old". Ofcourse a 70 y/o that has never been under anesthesia, has cardiac issues, as well as COPD, is going to be expected to have a few quirks arise that required him to stay an extra couple of days, but over all it looks like the repairs to Dad's spine have helped alot. I'm hoping to avoid fusion, I've had the cortisone shots, they only make bad matters worse for me... No medication or treatment (including spinal decompression through a chiropractor) I've tried has helped, so I'm at the point that whatever it takes to get me out of pain and back to work ASAP is what I'm going to do. I plan on asking the neurosurgeon if there are alternatives to the knife, but this guy seems like he knows what he's talking about, so I'm going to have to go with what he says.
Semper Fi

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Looks like I'm going to be out for a few days. As long as my insurance pre-certs me I go under the knife for a laminectomy at 7am Friday morning. Basically they are going to cut out just enough bone and disk to keep it from pinching the nerve any further. The Dr. said the MRI showed that the nerve root was almost flat. If I thought I had any other option at this point I would take it, but if there is a chance of relief, I HAVE TO TAKE IT. It's been horrible not being able to pick up my daughter or son, and not being able to get out and do the things I enjoy. A life without joy is no life at all. I may go fishing tomorrow morning since it will be my last chance for quite some time. Not sure what the time frame on recovery is other than 4-6 weeks recovery time. Conflicting emotions are interesting.... On one hand I'm excited about the surgery for the possibility of not having the pain, on the other hand I'm nervous because this is my first surgery, and there's alot that can go wrong. Narcotic pain pills don't work on me and none of the other medications I have tried have done anything for me. I'm just at my wits end. I'll get my wife to post on here after the surgery so I can let ya'll know, or I'll have her bring the laptop to the hospital.

J no plans for a fusion just removing the parts that are pinching.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 22 May 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Semper Fi

#7 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

thats good Terry.
that is what I had done, just a partical lapinectomy.(sp)
been 12 years and no more major issues and I can still tie my own shoes ;)
but like I said before about the lifting..........;isten to the restrictions they give you post op.

good luck and I'll be prayin for ya brother :pray:

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

J it's not ME that you have to worry about not listening to the Dr on post-op instructions.. LOL It's my wife and kids.. Both my kids weigh right around 30 lbs.. So I'm not sure they're gonna take the hint when Daddy says "I can't pick you up" LOL
Semper Fi

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Well because of my Dr's office dropping the ball, I am not having surgery tomorrow, I am waiting until NEXT FRIDAY..... I am at a level of mad that I have seldom been at....
Semper Fi

#10 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Terry, sorry to hear it got pushed.
I had to wait 90 days just to see the dr.when mine happened then another 30 days till they could operate.
I spent 4 months layin' on the couch eating pain pills. NOT FUN!!!
Look at the bright side.............they could have told ya it would be 4 weeks not just one. ;)

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

J no pain pills for me. The only thing that the first dr I went to can prescribe, doesn't work on me... Vicodin does nothing..... I am a very active person, and it's killing me sitting around.....
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users