make sure...make very very sure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

A couple of years ago, I had the oppertunity to take a green horn out elk hunting. The guy is not a hunter, took hunters saftey when he was a kid, his grandfather had him take the class. ANYway, grandpa passed away and he was left his grandfathers rifle collection. He wanted to go hunting, memories of days gone by with gramps. Ok you can tag along. But then he asked, I invited a buddy to come with me, you don't mind do ya?
well....errrr...hmmm I don't know this guy and, well...I'd prefer to hunt with someone I know. Ohhh he's a seasoned hunter...just like you..you'll get along great with him.

Well it was a long long day and the buddy wasnt as seasoned as he made out.
I knew we were in trouble when he came on the radio's ( I gave them radios cause they were green horns and I might have to find em ) and he said ELK COMING YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON"T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't use the radios to hunt, they are so I can keep track of you!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohhhh ok..... 4 or 5 coming almost straight towards ya!
ARGGGGGGGGGGG

few mins later 4 mule deer does crossed an old logging road, about 50 yards up from me. UTOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I asked, where are you guys at...we need to hook up....
the answer that came back....WE GOT A BULL ELK CORNERED.
:ermm:
cornered?
YEA ITS A BIG BOY
how many points?
its 4X

4X? what?
ITS LEGAL its a 4X

I got a glimps at a spike bull going through the tree's....whew no one got a shot.

ok so the question is....what is a legal bull in Colorado IN the units Elkatraz will be held at.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

I think it is 4 points or more on one antler or a brow tine 5" or longer.

Fatty ;)

Edited by bonecollector34, 17 July 2006 - 10:23 PM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

Yep ! 4pts or 5"
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:08 AM

hmmm so it's basically a 4 point rule, 4 on one side minimum... that's easy enough to remember, if i don't have atleast that much, i ain't slingin no arrows LOL :lol:
Semper Fi

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:01 AM

On page 24 of the CO hunting regs book it states An antler point is a projection of antler 1 inch or more longer than the width of its base. A brow time is an antler projection min 5 inches long on lower half of antler. Projection is usually not more than 8 inches from the skull. Bull elk taken must have 4 points or more on 1 antler or brow time at least 5 inches long for all seasons in most of the units.

There are no antler restrictions for any season in certain units

The above mentioned units can be viewed on page 24 under ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS in para 1 thru 5.

My question is how does one hold a bull down long enough to do those measurements and then let him go and shoot.

You cannot add your preference points to the total to make the bull legal either.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 18 July 2006 - 06:03 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

TO finish the story, my friend came up to me, very sheepish..and was upset about his friend the seasoned hunter, that didn't know what a legal bull was, and in fact didnt know what an elk was...yep those elk coming my way were the group of doe mule deer I had seen.

When I asked about the bull being a 4x he counted 1-2 ( on one side ) 3-4 ( on the other side )

nope that isn't a legal bull.

and this whole story... every bit is true...its NO BULL!!!
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

its NO BULL!!!

B) Good cuz that right there is what I'm looking for. :P :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#8 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

Thats why I prefer to keep it simple only shoot the slick heads. :D

#9 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Eric,

I have a funny feeling your "flattop" is going to have a black and white stripe down her back! :o) :P :rofl: just kidding!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users