6 replies to this topic

#1 willcfish

willcfish

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

My calling was pretty bad but it is always fun to get them to respond in numbers.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

Just about any loud sound will get a shock gobble response. I too cannot give a great sounding owl hoot by mouth nontheless easterns will respond. I recall once while muzzleloader hunting in Kansas an approaching thunderstorm got the turkeys gobbling. Then they gobbled at dogs barking, a truck backup beeper, and a far off train whistle. In all by the time I got back to the truck to avoid sitting in a tree with a gunpowder lightning rod those turkeys had gobbled 36 times and this was in September debunking another myth of turkeys only gobbling in the spring. Oh and welcome to the site. I am a turkey hunting addict.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 22 May 2012 - 06:32 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

:bye: Welcome

That video reminds me when I was out with a top turkey caller (won awards from the NWTF) hunting in Southern Ohio. He was trying his uttmost. Nada on the return gobble. He got frustrated cause he knew the birds were with in ear shot.About that tiime In the distance two or three canadian geese flew over honking away and we heard two different toms sound off back at them. It was all I could do to stop myself from :roflmao: when I looked over at his face :shock: .
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 willcfish

willcfish

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

Turkeys are addictive. I've been out hunting in whites in snow and had them come right in around me. When they get nervous they sit down and pull their necks down until the look like a cypress stump. (We don't even have cypress) None the less a stump. It's a great site to see at 10 feet away.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

My son and I were groundhog hunting once and I told him to go out in the field and pick up that black plastic bag. He got to within about 25 yds and the black plastic bag jumped up and flew off. We just stared in amazement till the poults started to sound off. Apparently she was hunched down covering them. We were amazed how loud those little baby turkeys were. We beat feet out of there so mama and kids could get back together. Man what you see when you do not have a camera.

#6 willcfish

willcfish

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Wow! I've never seen turkey polts. That would have been cool.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

I have had the good luck to see a number of young turkeys. The poults that I was referring were very young, about the size of a robin. They were very loud and mama was over in the woods calling to them. I have seen a bunch of young birds about the size of a grouse later in the summer. Just last evening I was deer hunting and a young raccoon came down a tree near me and went over the top of the ridge. I heard a terrible ruckus over there and finally the raccoon came back and the sounds became more turkey like. I did not see them but am assured that there are still turkeys on that ridge. Come on fall season.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eastern, Rio Grande, Osceola, Hunt, Turkey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users