• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I have been out turkey hunting for what seems like forever this year. This morning Eric and I headed to our favorite spot at a cow pasture. We set up in the semi darkness at the bottom of the pasture. A bird flew down below us in the woods cackling like crazy. in a few minutes two birds came out in the field above us. Through the binos I could see both had long enough beards. The one bird kept strutting and circling the other like a merry go round. It was most likely a dominance thing but both Eric and I immediately thought g@y gobbler. They were about 200 yds away and soon were joined by 4 more red headed birds but I could not see any beards. The bird behind us called several times so we had a real bird calling for us. finally the flock started down toward us and at about 90 yds they veered right and my heart sank as I thought they were headed to the opposite corner of the field from us. They did turn and ever so slowly fed toward us. It seemed like an eternity till they were finally in range and of course I was holding my shotgun up most of that time. Now I had a delima, I had to find one longbeard, in range, and with no other bird behind it. One finally stepped out in the clear and as soon as it stretched out its neck I shot and finally after hunting a whole bunch of days I had a bird down. It is a two yr old bird and weighed just shy of 17 lbs with a 9 inch beard and one spur at 7/8 inch and the other was 1 inch. I am a happy camper. Now to catch up on some lost sleep.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 28 May 2012 - 09:51 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Paul congrats bubba, sounds like you hunted hard and it payed off. And scored on Memorial Day to boot... Now that should be a special bird for you.
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yes Terry it was special but then all of them are special.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like a well fought huunt PA. Congrats on taking your best shot.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Congrats Paul. :ermm: Lemee guess whats going to be for supper. Could be turkey! :D

#6 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Congrats Paul. Way to stick with it.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users