Surgery

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Well after sitting in a "prep room" with an IV putting a giant knot in my arm for almost 3 hrs, they knocked me out and did my surgery today. The sedatives they used put me out very well. They gave me something "to relax" before taking me out of my room for the surgery and I faintly remember them putting the mask on my face and the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery and asking for water, all they gave me was ice chips with a spoon, which I fell back asleep while eating. they woke me back up to tell me I was spilling the ice on my lap, then let me go back to sleep.. LOL I woke up in my "prep room" about another hour later with my wife and sister sitting there. Upon waking up, I noticed my left foot felt "asleep" and I was having trouble moving both legs. After calling the nurse in she helped me to my feet and then to the bathroom. I'm not a fan of anesthesia for sure. I'm supposed to take it easy and avoid very much movement for the next 2 weeks until I have a follow up appointment with my neurosurgeon. I went under the knife about 11am and left the hospital about 3:30pm. So it was overall a descent dealing. After much protesting on my part I left with a script for Flexeril and Hydrocodone. The narcotic has never done anything for me, but I gotta take what they give me. The incision isn't even bothering me right now, but the numb left food and left knee that doesn't appear to be working quite right are giving me heck right now. I picked up a nifty little camoflage cane on the way home to help me stay stabile on my feet when I have to move, and it's saved me from busting my rear or face a couple of times so I'm going to use it until my body gets back to it's normal operation. Thank you all for the prayers. I know I had alot of people praying for me and I cannot express how much that meant to me.
Semper Fi

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Terry for one Iknow you have been prayed for at our house and you even made the prayer b0ard at our church. Glad to hear you are still with us.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Paul, Thank you so very much. This has been an arduous journey, and the end is in sight. I just have to follow Dr's orders and see what happens.
Semper Fi

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

I pray you heal up with all the improvements you hoped for.
Posted Image

#5 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

Glad to hear it went well Terry.
Praying the healing process goes well.
Take it easy...............

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Leo I appreciate it.... I'm gonna have a wicked scar from it for just being a 1.5- 2" incision..... I'm hoping to be able to ditch the cane soon and get to moving on my own, then I'll just try to improve a little at a time. That's all I can do.

BTW This is the cane...
Posted Image
Semper Fi

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

J thanks Bubba..... If all goes well, I should be tossing that ladder around like a ragdoll in 6 weeks.... I really hope so anyways.
Semper Fi

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Man Terry I wish you well and fast and health recovery. And like you said follow the Dr.'s instruction and if don't understand ask questions. :pray: :pray: For you Bud.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Rowdy, called the Dr's office this morning to schedule my 2 week follow-up and asked about the numbness/asleep feeling in my left calf and foot, they said it's a standard side effect and it should go away over time. Still using the cane for stabilization, and eating the pain pills they gave me on the schedule they gave me. It's just really dull waiting around the house when you really can't do much....
Semper Fi

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Glad that everything turned out well, Terry. Follow the Dr's orders and don't do anything at all until he clears you. Just eat, drink, wear out the batteries on your remote and head to the can when needed. Having broke my back and being paralyzed for a week, I can sympathize with what you are going through, and it would be a shame if you did something stupid and caused problems. It would be a long drive for me to come to your house and kick your butt. :thumbsup: Take care bud and heal fast. Hunting season is just around the corner! :boone:

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Fred, it's not me that you have to worry about disobeying the Dr... It's my kids.... They just don't understand Daddy can't pick them up and do anything...... The heaviest thing I've lifted since the surgery would probably be a gallon of milk to fix myself a glass.... I'm in enough pain as is, so I'm not taking any chances until I get the word go from the Dr... It just seems like everything is piling on at once... The morning after my surgery(June 2nd) we woke up to my wife's oldest dog Skipper dead in the living room, then about 2 hours later we got a call that Jenn's maternal grandmother passed away that morning, so we attended the funeral this morning...... It's been a humdinger mess around here the past few days. I wouldn't mind the company if you wanna come down and sit with a cripple for a while.. LOL :thumbsup:
Semper Fi

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Terry that's amazing how it all seemed to hit at once. It does come in threes so hope that is all over with. My prayers and condolensces to you and your family on your lose.

You're safe, you live to far away to have me come visit you, LOL you are a cripple and can't get away from unwanted company. :sos: :peekaboo:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 08 June 2012 - 11:49 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#13 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

Rowdy, any company at ALL would be a blessing.. LOL If the Jehova's Witnesses show up I'll be the first house they're in a hurry to leave... LOL
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users