runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hey guys, it's been a while!

Anyways, I'll be heading off to college this fall and am looking for a good laptop to bring with me. I'll mostly be using it for surfing the web, doing research, and using Microsoft Office to do projects and assignments. I'd like to get a pretty solid overall machine that can do just about anything a college student would need it to do.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for in a laptop? Any brands to keep away from? Any other input?
-Eric

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

ASUS seems to be pretty good for speed and performance, the "gamer" laptops can come in handy for downloading files etc just because they are geared towards overall performance. 8GB of RAM should be sufficient for running any programs you might need. On a gamer comp. you won't have Office preinstalled but you could pick that up seperately. 1TB or larger harddrive to make sure you have plenty of storage space and a good antivirus. And believe me you'll get PLENTY of opinions on which antivirus is best.
Semper Fi

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Terry. I was looking around and reading some stuff and was thinking something along the lines of this:

http://us.toshiba.co...P750/P755-S5387

It has pretty good reviews everywhere I've looked, and sounds like a pretty good machine for everything I would want it to do.
-Eric

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Eric if that one seems to suit your needs I say go for it buddy. LOL Everyone has biases from past experiences and beliefs from other peoples reviews, and so on and so forth. The only opinion you can ever really count on is your own. I wish you luck as you start your next endeavour of college and impart the only words you really need to know "Study hard, Party harder, and make it the best years of your life." And that is from someone who has never been to college. LOL
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users