• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Today they are talking thunderstorms this afternoon, so I knew if I wanted to shoot I was going to be limited in time. So I hurried and weeded all three gardens this morning and then broke out my..

Traditions Woodsman Hawkins Flintlock 50 caliber. 1-48 twist.
Powder: Graf's and Sons 3f black powder. 4f for prime
Distance: 46 yards range finder told me
Shooting from a bench rest with open primitive sights.
Bullet is a .44 caliber .430 240 grain Hornady XTP
Sabot was a green EZ load Harvester (nothing easy about loading either).

I cleaned the barrel with alcohol and let it rest to dry. Shot #1 was a surprise to me. I'd forgot how light that set trigger was and knew as soon as the rifle went off, I was not on target. Also the ignition today was exceptionally fast. You'd of thought it was an inline. No tick Boom.. click boom, nothing. Just BOOM! I was using a german agate as my flint.

Posted Image

towards the end of my shooting, shots 6-9 I had the sight picture finally down pat. Holding just under the center of the bull to the left a hair. And it just kept laying them in that nice hole then. I know this Traditions has a fast lock time, but today with that new German Agate.. WOW!! I might have to buy a few more of these agates.

I was swabbing between shots with alcohol and then a dry patch. For some reason, maybe the humidity in the air, the rifle was filthy today. I've never taken so long as today to clean a traditional rifle. It just did not seem to want to come clean. Water bath, then alcohol, finally I broke out the Birchwood Casey #77 solvent and scrubbed with that. Three patches later I finally got a clean patch out of it.

This sure is a sweet little rifle. And 80 grains of 3f Graf's powder and that little XTP would be a good deer load. I would have shot longer but as I was loading for the last time a great big drop of rain hit the pan of the rifle. I wiped it out, re primed, shot and headed for the house.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Sounds like you had fun before the rain clouds broke. I gotta start tracking down the ammo I tried last year it zeroed with 2 Pyrodex 777 50/50 pellets and a 209 primer at 106yds real fast...... Maybe you'll know the manufacturer off-hand I want to say they were 300gr belted conicals called Sabertooths...... They were in my hunting pack when my truck was broken into and they took the pack....
Semper Fi

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

The Sabertooth conicals come in 300 and 350 grain. They are marketed through Harvester. If the twist is fast, the 350 grain are a pleasure to shoot also. And if you can't find them look at the Hornady FPB's. They are an over grown Shockwave. Some rifles love them other hate them.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Mine is one that has been outed with having "Defective spanish made barrels" It's a Traditions Sporter inline with a 1-28" twist and I will admit I'm not that good with twist as far as knowing if it's a fast twist or not. I need to learn but never think to look the stuff up. Infact I think that's my next stop. LOL
Semper Fi

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

The 1-28 twist is in most muzzleloader circles considered a fast twist barrel. That means in 28 inches of barrel length, the bullet makes one revolution. So if you have a 28 inch barrel that projectile might make one complete spin before leaving the barrel. There are faster twist barrels and then mush slower twist like the roundball barrel I shoot which is 1-70.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Terry in a modern firearm the rate of twist is most times from 1 in 9 to 1 in 12. In a black powder rifle a fast twist rate is most often as already mentioned a 1 in 28 twist and then a whole host of slower than that. The 1/28 rate of twist handles sabotted or bullets that the lead does not touch the barrel and the slower rates of twist like the 1/48 will handle the full bore bullets like a maxe ball well and the really slow 1/6o and slower will shoot a patched round ball best. Trying to shoot a full size lead bullet in the fast twist may work but most times it will strip down the barrel instead of gripping the rifling and then you have a leading problem in the barrel.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

then of course you have the White Rifle. My Ultra Mag model 97 sports a 1-24 twist in the .504 caliber and a 1-20 twist in my White model 97 in .451 caliber.There is no finer conical big lead thrower on the market. So one must also look at the manner and depth of rifling.

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

I kinda found the info, but ya'll explained it a bit better. I have had the T/C Shockwaves before, and they just didn't group near as well as the Sabertooths. I use the same powder load because it's just easy to drop 2 pellets down the barrel and then seat the bullet. I'm waiting to heal up a bit before I go out and shoot my ML but I am really wanting to get out there and see if the scope has moved since last season. I mostly just wanna get out and shoot period. LOL Gotta get clearance to dust my bow off and send some arrows down range as well.......
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users