• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

My son,Dan,and I , participated in a 1000 yd bench rest shoot yesterday, Dan was the shooter, I as a cheerleader,lol." We" finally shot sub m.o.a in a competition, after nearly 4 years. A .8 and a .9 five shot group and a 1.0 and a 1.2 ten shot group. (2 matches were held, with 1 five shot groupo and 1 ten shot group making up 1 match). 36 shooters, we had the only "factory" gun, everyone else were shooting custom made guns.We were shooting the Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua. Now, to be clear, our gun was too heavy for light gun(total weight,including add ons like scope=l7 lbs or less our gun was over 18), and the 15 degree rear angled muzzle brake needed to be 0 degrees or angled forward, also disqualified us for heavy gun, but the match director and other participants allowed us to shoot as "non-competitors".My thanks to them. Next shoot will be in August, new muzzle brake ordered for Lapua, our .308 AR10 national match will fill the bill for light gun. 2 pics of the gun and restPosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

That's some awesome shooting!

You will gain some recoil with the new brake but probably not enough to affect shooting.
Posted Image

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Sounds like fun.
Semper Fi

#4 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Cool beans. I like that long range stuff. COngrats on the <moa stuff. I can do it at 100 200 and 300 and 425. Whne our 600y range is completed Ill try that. 1000y is a great challenge but you have the stuff to do it with.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

We always have fun at these 1000yd matches,either the bench rest matches or the .50 cal matches. Seeing as how we are about 10 grand away from being competitive(I did not say winning,just competitive,lol),in either case, having fun is a lot cheaper!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Question. If you were to have competed wherewould you have placed. That is some good shooting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Paul, would have answered sooner, but my wife and I left for Las Vegas on Monday, just got home last night. In answer to your question, overall, i would say we would have placed between 12-18th. In the light gun catagory, in our own group of 17 shooters, there were at least 2 .4moas, at least 2 .5moas, at least 3 .7moas and the rest scattered from .8 to 1.4moas, Second group of 19 shooters had about the same results. 10 shot groups from the heavy guns, top 5 shooters from each were shooting less than 1.2 moas, winners were less than .9 moa. These shooters all belong to the International Benchrest shootersAssociation, serious shooters. 2 former National champions were there shooting. The rest in my pictures above is nothing compared to the guns and rests these shooters were using.Its not like anybody is just shooting from the shoulder or bi-pod or resting on a sandbag. Shooters will put 5 rounds downrange in under a minute, 10 shots in less than 2 minutes. A round called a 6mm Dasher or 6mm BR are popular light gun caliburs with 100-109 gr bullets, while quite a number of people were shooting .300wsm in their heavy guns. It seems, in my opinion, that after one gets a custom gun and action, a quality rest and scope, then the key is finding the "perfect" handload for it. These guys spend a lot of time and money,and more money,lol to try to be perfect. Nice guys,fun to shoot with,willing to explain and share info, but seriously, the Jones boys ain't no threat to them,lol

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Great shooting!

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

You have some real braggin rights. I know those guys that are serious have some very serious cash invested.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users