• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

On this hot afternoon I wanted to shoot. I got all my work done this morning and decided I had a little time before the thunder storm rolled in. So I decided to shoot the Sig Sauer 522 .22 caliber semi automatic rifle. I shoot cheap Wal Mart Winchester 555 36 grain hollow point ammo out of it. I purchased an inexpensive 4x32mm Tactical Scope with a mil dot cross hairs.

From all the shooting I have done with this rifle, I can not tell you how impressed I am with this rifle. So far, well over 3000 rounds have been shot. Never to date a jam. Granted bad ammo caused a fail to fire but not one misfire that I can attribute to the rifle.

Now on to today's shooting. I moved the bench table when mowing the lawn and had no idea how far I was from the small spinner targets. Plus I got some empty plastic 1/2 liter bottles (had the well worked on and have been drinking bottled water for three days) and with an old shoe string, hung them by the neck off my PVC shooting stand. My range finder said the spinner targets were 41 yards away. And the hanging bottles were 43, 44, 43 yards away.

At 40 yards those spinner targets were just as easy as they were at 25 and 35 yards. Set the cross hair, squeeze that excellent trigger, and watch them spin away. The small spinner surface is two inches across. Had that been small game, they'd of never stood a chance. I was shooting off the front grip, using it as a mono pod rest on the table. As fast as I could set that cross hair and squeeze, I could spin. One spinner is broken and does not lock up in the top position, it just spins. So I was seeing how fast I could spin that. Just a great time.

Then on to the hanging bottles. I could make them dance with ease. I was surprised at how if I concentrated on the center of the bottle I could almost cut that plastic bottle in half. Seeing that, I decided to try and cut the shoe string that was around the neck of the bottle. I then proceeded to cut the neck of the bottle off, just under the shoe string. When the first bottle fell I was impressed with myself. By the end of the shoot, three more had fallen to that Sig Sauer 522 rifle. On one bottle, I am sure it was fools luck, I honestly aimed at that shoe lace wrapped around the neck of that bottle. Squeezed the trigger, and cut that shoe string.

That's the way you cut the neck off a bottle and or cut a string.

Posted Image

I guess when I purchased the rifle I purchased it thinking it would be fun to shoot ammo fast, but really never considered it as the kind of accurate rifle this thing really is. I am going small game hunting with it this year. Any critter better be a long way from me. As they would never be safe.

If you ever get the urge to purchase a fun, accurate, and seemingly fool proof rifle, I can not stress that while this rifle was more expensive then a lot of them.. it is one great rifle. I had in the past shot sig sauer hand guns and always was impressed with their triggers and their functioning. Well this rifle is really built well.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

NOTICE to Wis. small game. Beware the cayugad is a commin and you gonna be stew. Good shooting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

:shock: But it's not a coal burner! Glad that you got a good one. :fudd: a squirrel for me and enjoy. :boone:

#4 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Nice shootin'
I love going to the range with the .22
Lots of fun with little cost.

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'll stick with my Marlin Model 60.... Good gun reasonable price, I'll leave it with that... Plus the fact Dad has had his as long as I can remember... LOL
Semper Fi

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

My friend WON a Marlin 60 semi auto .22 rifle at some wildlife banquet dinner where you buy tickets. We were shooting it one afternoon, and I have to admit it was very accurate. The only thing we did discover is it was ammo sensitive. I was shooting my Remington Pump .22 at the time with Winchester ammo. He was using Remington Thunderbolts Ammo. And he had occasional jams. Yet he loaded with my Winchester ammo and never had a problem with them.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Oh the ONLY thing I run through mine are CCI Mini Mags.... I love those things.... LOL I've ran winchester and a few more things through Dad's and it never cycled right, the CCI Mini Mags I've never had an issue with. I'm not big on changing ammo. I find something that works well for my guns and I stick to it. My Marlin 336W 30/30 loves some Remington Core-lokt ammo so that's what I feed it. LOL
Semper Fi

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

I worked hard in the yard all morning and when I finally got in the house it was almost 2:00 PM. Wow I was shocked. I had wanted to shoot today but got carried away in the yard work. So I decided to have some fun and shoot a fast loader. I grabbed the Sig Sauer 522 .22 caliber rifle and about 200 rounds of what was left in a box.

I set out a target and the range finder said 42 yards. That is about all the further I care to shoot a 22 at game, so this is a good place to practice.

Posted Image

I shot off 20 rounds slow fire. And of course it was grouping pretty good. Then I decided to shoot some fast fire. And you can see the difference in the hits.

Posted Image

That was slow fire just to see what the rifle really could do. I had one flier. Too bad. That is a strange looking group. But its 1 inch worth and with a .22 that means a dead rabbit.

Posted Image

Now this was not rapid fire. But not slow fire either. Just a nice steady fire. Just a lot of fun shooting.

But I then got into shooting the spinner targets. I like to see how fast I can make them spin. All I can say is what a nice way to spend an hour shooting, and shooting a lot. This is an amazing rifle. I have decided to put an even better scope on the rifle. This BSA scope is all right, but there could be better focus on it. So I ordered a 3-10 scope for it. That might be a little over kill for a .22 but I love to shoot this thing, so I think it will work out just fine.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

I am always of the impression of more power even on a 22. I have a 6-24 power on a 222 rem and have yet to feel over scoped.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Glad to hear that. I figured to put a 3-10x40mm Cabela's Powderhorn Muzzleloader scope on the rifle. That should make longer range very interesting.

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Cayugad never any such thing as over scoping these are mine and the wife's rigs.... Her's is the synthetic stock
Posted Image
Semper Fi

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

We've only got 3-9x50's on them but we can drive tacks LOL
Semper Fi

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Well at first I was kind of beating myself up for ordering this Powerhorn Scope for a .22 caliber. I mean 3-10x40mm most the time I had a little 2x on them. But I really want to see what this rifle can do. And it should make bunny hunting a whole new experience .

#14 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Bubba my dad had a model 60 with a 3-9x40 on it when I was growing up, I could cut squirrels off branches at over 50 yds on the run with it.. LOL Never feel guilty about trying to squeeze the absolute best out of your firearms.
Semper Fi

#15 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

Don't feel bad about scope selection. I put the 6x24x50 AO on my 22 for a while. It was great shooting 50 yards on 24 power. I didn't have to go for a walk to see the holes in the paper. I have found that with older eyeballs, that the extra magnification is greatly appreciated. I settled for a 3x9 on it, and now I have to find some gophers to see if it works as well on them as it does on the paper. :thumbsup:

Edited by REDGREEN, 23 July 2012 - 05:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users