• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Shucks I have a 4-12 AO on my inline muzzleloader and only use real bp in it. Most folks contend that too much power and you will not be able to shoot in the brush but I have found that I can find the holes in the brush with more power. Others claim that you cannot consistantly hit a moving animal with too much power, so I don't shoot at running game. My dad always told me that if you make the first shot a good one you do not need any more, I contend that I can make a good first shot with more power than I can with less power.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#17 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I was shooting that 522 rifle today with the same scope on it. I also had some oranges that turned into science experiments and kind of shrunk up. So they were outside to keep the fruit flies at bay. I decided to set three of them up at 96 yards away. I then held on the bench with that 4x30mm scope. Squeezed the trigger and watched that orange blow up and off the stump. Needless to say, I was surprised. Seeing it now on the ground, I hammered it some more and was able to tear it apart at that distance. Orange two took two shots before it fell. And on later inspection had a chunk missing to the right of center. The last orange I shot and swore it rolled backward, against the Spruce blocks. So I just kept hammering away at it.

I then loaded the magazine and walked to the 50 yard line. Free standing I opened up on the spruce block orange and blew it apart. Again, I was impressed, but I have been shooting the rifle a lot, and know the scope very well.

Finally I loaded up from a pocket full of cartridges. I then folded the stock on the rifle and holding it on my hip, at 10 yards, opened up on an orange. I was able to walk the hits to it and also firing very very fast. You'd of thought it was a full automatic rifle I was firing that fast. So back out front, loaded again and then aiming at the spinner targets, opened up as fast as I could shoot. The targets were just flying around. Talk about a good time.

When I walked out I had a brand new box of 555 Winchester cartridges. When I walked back in the house there might have been two hundred left in the box. But what a great way to spend an afternoon.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#18 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

Shooting is a lot of fun. Due to a logging project out beyond my range I don't have much opportunity to exercise my stable this year. Glad you are still having fun, I live vicariously through your episodes this year.

#19 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I was shooting my little favorite .22 rifle today when suddenly it began to act up accuracy wise. I was shooting at 40 yards for groups off a bench rest and had a one inch going. So I turned on a spinning target, threw in a 25 round magazine and cut loose. When I went back to the target to shoot some more for groups, the group had changed. It was hitting high and right. I thought.. that's strange. So I adjusted the scope, suspecting this cheap scope was failing on me. Shot the next group and again it moved off target. Then just for kicks, I grabbed the ring tightening knob that holds the scope on the rail and both of them had come loose. I was kind of surprised they would have come loose after a mere 4000 rounds. But I tightened them up. And just like magic, the rifle and scope shot perfect again. So it was not my cheap scope at all. Just the cheap rings it came with. But I learned a lesson. Check everything before you start adjusting the scope. Thank goodness this mil-dot scope is so easy to adjust back to what the prior setting were.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#20 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Don't kick yourself too bad most all of us would have done the same thing in your situation. Somehow we just blame the scope first. I once had a Rem 721 in 243 cal that started shooting irradically. I messed with that scope and mounts a number of times and was prepared to get another scope when a friend said wait a minute and found that the stock was warping upward and touching the barrel. Filed out the barrel channel and that rifle went back to driving tacks. I had messed off and on for about 2 months with that rifle and was about ready to wrap it around a tree thinking I had shot the barrel out.

#21 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Today I tried a Winchester Target .22 caliber 40 grain non-hollow point bullet. All Wal Mart had. You'd think a target bullet would be more accurate. Well not the case. While I never had a jam or misfire all day, the hunting Winchester ammo shot better groups. Now figure that out. Not that these target ones shot bad, but I got fliers today for some reason. With the other ones, I got very few fliers, and you could hear the difference in their ignition when you shot sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users