9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Anyone have a Bushnell Back Track GPS? If so, how do youlike it? I just got one and haven't got to try it out yet but it should be just what the doctor ordered for ease of finding my way around in the woods when on strange ground. Along with my trusty compass I shouldn't get lost anyways. ;)

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

Aside from what I read of a limited waypoint input it should get you out there and back.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Aside from what I read of a limited waypoint input it should get you out there and back.

What sold Jason and I on them is their simplicity and ease of use. We wanted something that would just get us from point A to point B and back again when hunting unfamiliar ground without a lot of messing with. You can mark 3 way points at any given time and that's pleanty enough per hunting trip. :)

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm interested in how you like it.
Posted Image

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm interested in how you like it.

It's been way too hot to do much outdoors but some time soon I want to try it out. .If it works good this little thing will be handy as can be. It's only aprox. 3" x 2 1/4" square, 3/4" thick. One corner is made so you can attatch a clip to hang it around your kneck or clip it to your pant's loop, ect. My son tried his, just around Wal Mart's parking lot and his neighborhood, and said it couldn't be more simple to use. You just push a button to start a waypoint, it maps the path you walk and when ready to return an arrow constantly points your way back to the starting point till ya get there. Kinda like an electronic compass that knows exactly where you're wanting to go. :) As soon as I can try mine out I'll make it a point to let you know how like it Leo.

PS, Leo, on a side note, have you ever heard of Morgan Monroe acoustic guitars? I'm told Blue Grass players favor them. Picked up the "Creek" model recently and seems fairly well made and sounds good but I don't know much about them.

PS again,.....Leo, a friend made this post on another forum. thought it would interest you. Also here's a pic of it;

Posted Image

[ quote.....Greatest invention in the 21st century (so far anyway)! Simple enough even old guys like me can use it without getting out the manual every time.
My wife bought me one before early grouse season last fall. Used it during early season, deer season, and late grouse season. Great for exploring new areas, and old familiar ones for that matter.
Will always carry at least one compass because I figure being electronic it will at some point fail. However, it seems to be real easy on batteries - I used mine for 4 months of hunting season and still has the original batteries in it.
One thing I noticed was that it seems to be much more accurate when you calibrate it EACH TIME you use it if it's been off for a while, and especially before you mark your truck's location when first starting out. It does take a minute or two to do the calibration routine, but it's worth it.]

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 July 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

That sounds like something even I could use. Although I do not usually hunt that much unfamiliar territory any more. Of course when you hunt with Phil or you I never know what to expect. I recall once I hunted a mountain top with Phil and was amazed when the sun came up in the west. I could sworn I was facing south but actually just the opposite was true.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Looks very useful! I'm interested because after my accident my dead reckoning and backtracking skills are completely gone. I have an incredibly difficult time finding my way around in the woods. It used to be, I could remember miles of an entire path and back track it with ease, even in low light. My short term memory is very volatile now. Now I literally have to stop and stare at a landmark for a long time to have even a chance of remembering it. Used to be a quick glance behind me as I was going in was all I needed. Now it takes exhaustive mental effort and a long time to go in even a short distance.

If that device is useful and reliable it would give me back a dimension of hunting I thought lost forever. The way I am now. If i'm not within sight of a field edge or a road. I literally have to be taken to my stand and then someone must come pick me up when the hunt is over. A compass is helpful but if I can't take a direct line from a road or field edge I can't use it. Taking a heading and counting steps using a compass only works well if you can remember the headings a step counts.

The land based GPS units I've tried in the past all seem to loose their Satellite signal when you are in heavily wooded areas. I know there have been huge advances in their antenna sensitivity. I'm most interested in this units reliability in areas where the foliage is so thick you can't see the sky. If it can't handle that I'll wait until they get better.
Posted Image

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

I can easily understand your situation Leo. Archery Season opens the 15th of Sept. so we'll be giving these a try in just such areas as you described. They'll get a pretty good test in some pretty dense forest. I'll let you know how they work.

Paul, as inexpensive as these are at less than $50, if they work they will be priceless for guys like us. I myself get turned around way too easily these days.

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 July 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sorry to hear of your plight Leo as inexpensive as these units are you could definately benefit because at some point you will get reception. Most of my territory I hunt locally is very steep up or down although I did get lost once many years ago in a snow storm. After tramping around for near an hour I found the tracks of a guy that was also lost with the same boots I had on. Lol I finally made it out by lining up trees.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Jason and I are often checking out new areas, but even those I'm familiar with, can apear strange at times. What convinced me I needed a GPS was that I got turned around over on Mincy. I made it a point to stop now and then to study my back trail yet when I was headed back I suddenly saw the start of a hollow that I didn't remember seeing going in. Thankfully I was able to reach Jason on my radio. As it turned out I was headed right but I had convinced myself that just couldn't be. From then on I started carrying a compass. A compass works great if you have roads you can walk a certain direction and find but in some areas even a compass doesn't seem to be enough. I'm really looking forward to trying these out. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users