Blood Is Boiling.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

It's no secret that I am for veteran's rights. So it pains me to bring this up, but I have GOT to spread the word and make sure this travesty doesn't go unnoticed. A Best Western employee chuckled at a disabled vet that requested help getting down the stairs during a power outage..... I typically don't wish harm on anyone, but the troll that chuckled at a disabled vet that needed help getting downstairs in a wheelchair???? I hope she's in the market for a new job as we speak....... :curse: :curse: :curse:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-826217
Semper Fi

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Part of me is hoping that since this is still "breaking news" that more details will come out and it won't actually have been as bad as it seems now.

This is because, if true, as written now, it's simply unacceptable. Treating ANYONE in a chair that way would be reprehensible. But, when that individual was put in a chair because they took a bullet in YOUR stead, it is absolutely atrocious.

Liability issues... can't help someone down the stairs... blah, blah. Yeah, we get that. This world is a messed up place that seems to be getting more messed up by the minute. (I could see someone suing Best Western if "dropped down the stairs" after asking for help.) But, two things really stand out to me here.
1) The way in which "the help" responded was as much a problem as anything. Laughing? Really?
2) Sometimes you just do what you know is right regardless. I don't know how an able-bodied person could look at themselves in the mirror after not helping someone in that situation.

Sad.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:31 AM

Jere, what gets me is, what if the building had caught on fire? They shut down the elevators in the event of a fire. If you're on the 3rd floor in a wheelchair and not physically capable of getting down the stairs like he did, you're dead. Would they still be more worried about the liability? How about if he had injured himself while getting down the stairs on his own? They would still be responsible because he asked for assistance to make it safer for him, which he was subsequently refused. There was a post that said Best Western issued an appology and said he accepted it, but the person that was commenting on it, also said they talked to him and he said someone was blowing smoke he hadn't gotten an acceptable appology yet.
Semper Fi

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I agree. In fact, I said pretty much the same thing on Best Western's facebook page in reply to the post they made about the issue. (If he had hurt himself coming down the stairs on his own, it would have been just as much of an opening for a lawsuit as if they had "dropped him" trying to help him down the stairs, that is.) Fire/emergency was also definitely a thought. I don't know the set-up of the hotel. But, if they have first floor rooms I would think that at least some of them should be reserved for those of significant ambulatory disability. It just seems that common sense was also "out of order" on this one.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

This world is in a sad state of affairs. Very few give a darn about anyone but themselves. No respect for authority, no respect for the elderly, or the infirm, just me me me me. Even with a bad back, I will help anyone who needs it whether they ask or not.This planet needs a wake up call! I agree with you, Jer. There should be 1st floor rooms available to those who are not capable of negotiating stairs. If this person did laugh at this man, she should be terminated from employment. To me, this is an attrocity that should be dealt with harshly and with extreme prejiduce.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Those idiots need to be made to use a wheelchair for a full month to give them a taste of what it's like!

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

Those idiots need to be made to use a wheelchair for a full month to give them a taste of what it's like!

Ditto Norm...but add a taste of "The military combat experience" so they learn some thankful respect for the vets.
Posted Image

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

In an update the Best Western where "Holly" was employed at, that's right I said WAS, has terminated her, comped SSGT Staples , and is apparently trying to make amends. I applaud their efforts, but it's too little too late. They should have had clear guidelines to keep this from happening in the first place.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users