5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Here in Missouri they just changed Muzzleloader Season to Alternative Weapons Season. Now you can also use centerfire handguns and archery methods. Now folks anyone who hunts, even many who don't, know that during Firearms Deer Season Hunter Orange is required and rightly so. However, in the infinite wisdom of the Missouri Conservation Dept., it was decided that archers are not required to wear Hunter Orange during Alternitive Weapons Season. Soooo, on one hand we'll have folks hunting with rifles and centerfire hand guns and on the other hand those archery hunting wearing head to toe cammo! Any responsible hunter knows to make sure of not just his target but also what is to the sides and beyond his target. Well good luck doing that here Alternitive Weapon Season when you have archers in the same woods dressed for the sole purpose of not being seen! I know Turkey Season we all dress in cammo but we're using short range shotguns not high powered rifles and handguns yet still folks get shot! I see this new regulation, or realy lack there of, as tradegedy just waiting to happen. Am I wrong in this? What do you all think?

PS, I just got off the phone with a high ranking Conservation Agent who 100% agreed with me and said it was a slip up on their part. He said whoever made the exemption for archers was probably thinking in terms of old style muzzleloaders which mostly had fairly limited ranges and not in terms of modern ones with far greater ranges. Not to mention centerfire handguns being used. ( I agree with my son. Many of those making the regulations probably never hunted themselve's and don't have a clue! ) The agent told me he would call the office where the regulations are made and inform them they made a serious goof and he thanked me for bringing it to their attention. Who knows, I may have just saved a few lives. I think I deserve a pudding cup and am gonna raid the fridge. ;) lol

Edited by Spirithawk, 10 August 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Norm, they extended the archery season in Arkansas by 2 weeks..... I'm all for more time in the woods, but it's just too hot in the middle of Sept... LOL Luckily hunter orange or chartruse is required for EVERYONE anytime muzzleloader or modern gun deer or bear seasons are open in Arkansas..... Maybe you should just move down here and get out of that dangerous state you're in. LOL
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Several of our archery seasons overlap an early muzzleloader season and small game seasons but at those times archers must wear 250 sq inches of blaze orange on chest back and head just like the rifle hunters. I always figured PA got it right the first time even though I grumbled about it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

I feel it better to wear orange and be safe than to catch a .50 slug the hard way. ;)

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Norm, something tells me you're right. :thumbsup: I'm just hoping I can talk a nice buck into catching one from my inline the hard way this year. LOL
Semper Fi

#6 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

I always wear safety orange in the field,to many idiots in Oregon to not play it safe!!! Haven't been hunting here in Oregon yet,its been two years now,I'm getting withdrawls-LOL...............
There seasons here are so freakin' short and hard to understand! Regulation book is a mile thick!
But yes sounds like that new law is wicked and will get people hurt or dead!
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users