9 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Well, I traded the Hellcat .380, my previous post, for this J. P. Sauer & Son single action .357 mag. I love that it has a fully adjustable back sight. J. P. Sauer is the Sauer in Sig/Sauer. The .357 was made in West Germany about 1969 or 70. Still very tight and I've read it's quite comparable to a Ruger. This will now be my carry in the woods. We have both Black Bear and Cougars moving into the area in increasing numbers so I wanted something for insurance. I even got a holster and gunbelt in the trade. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 August 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Good talking with you, Norm. You are right! That is sure sweet looking! You know, if you keep getting these fancy toys, I am going to have to come down there and play with them too. Take care and enjoy.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Good talking with you, Norm. You are right! That is sure sweet looking! You know, if you keep getting these fancy toys, I am going to have to come down there and play with them too. Take care and enjoy.

Thanks, same here, and you're welcome any time. I'll have a room ready for ya. :)

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

That baby mag should do good for what you have planned.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

The .357 magnum is a favorite caliber of mine in a handgun. Its powerful, easy to manage recoil, and has a good following. Meaning, depending on where you end up someone or some gun shop normally have a box of cartridges that fit it, should you run out of forget them. For critters it has more then enough stopping power.

A person I know is a bear hunting guide. He carried a Ruger Security Six in .357 magnum as his personal defense when he was baiting or moving clients. He happened onto a 140 pound bear that was over anxious for his bucket of dinner at a stand. Even throwing the bucket at the bear, he "claims" the bear then became food aggressive. I personally think it was a bluff to run him off, but why take chances. Anyway, he shot six rounds out of that .357 magnum at close range at the bears face. Result was a dead bear. So they can stop some determined critters.

That is a nice looking revolver. Many years ago, I had a .38 special made by Sauer & Sons. The .38 was of course popular before the .357 ever made the scene. It was a great revolver. Very smooth shooting, great trigger, just a nice shooting revolver. I am sure your going to like that revolver. And six shots is all you need. Let us know how it shoots.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks guys. :) Cayugad, the .357 is a favorite of mine too. For what ever reason I shoot single action .357's very well and have long been wanting one. My son and I sighted it in and I'm very pleased with it. I'm shooting Federal 158 grain JSP's. Recoil isn't bad and great accuracy. My son shot it more than me due to my current health but I'm realy looking forward to hunting with it. Also it will be my carry anytime I hit the woods for any reason as Black Bear and Cougars are realy making a come back here. It seems very well made. I know they made several models but mine is the only one with adjustable sights and it has a heavier beefed up frame. Many have told me it's made every bit as good as Ruger or Colt. I just know I'll have lots of fun with it and will eventualy proudly hand it down to my son. :) Here's another pic after I cleaned it up a bit. I am looking for a vintage leather shoulder holster to carry it in. Next gun show I'm betting I come home with one. ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 20 November 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Posted Image

this is what I use to carry my .357 magnum Smith & Wesson. It also fits my Ruger Redhawk (which it was custom made for) and it carried my Piette .44 caliber black powder revolver. The holster was made for me twenty some years ago by Tex Shoemaker. At the time they did not even offer this model. So I contacted the company and had them make it. Now they offer to anyone.

I used to do fast draw and I hated the leaning back holster, so I had this authenic looking thing made. Probably watched to many Matt Dillon and Paladin "Have Gun Will Travel" TV shows as a child. :cowboy3:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Now Cayugad you are showing your age with those tv shows.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

That is funny you said that because after I posted that I thought, I wonder if anyone even remembers those old westerns. So I guess I am not the only old duffer. :tsk:

A while back my great nephew was visiting. I had Elvis's greatest hits on the DVD player. He was listening to the music and said, "Who's that singing... he's pretty good." And I realized, Elvis died before he was even born. Man I felt old.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Know that feeling well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users