3 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Got my check for my rifle I won. Tomorrow, Im going to pay off my buck mount & I'll have enough for a new range finder to replace the one I got wet last year. Which range finder should I or would you choose from Cabela's.

Simmons vertical rangefinder- reg. $169.99 on sale for $149.99 - has a 4.4 out of 5 stars 29 reviewers

or

the new Nikon prostaff 3 rangefinder- not on sale reg. $179.99 - has 5 out of 5 stars 1 reviewer

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,080 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

My current rangefinder is the Nikon Riflehunter 500. After owning this for a couple years now, I'll never buy another rangefinder without angle compensation again.

That said, if I had to purchase from Cabela's and had a sub $200 budget, I'd most likely buy this... Link
Bearing in mind that, while I've owned Simmons rifle scopes, I've never owned one of their rangefinders.
Thus, I can not speak for their accuracy or reliability.
The Bushnell and Nikon rangefinders I have owned have been both accurate and reliable.
One of the Bushnell's had a battery drain issue while some users seem to get "lemons" from Nikon.
(If you get a "winner", you're golden. If you get a "lemon", Nikon's customer service seems to be hit or miss.)

Hope any of that helps.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks. & with the rebate, Its cheaper then what I was looking at.

#4 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

For the money the Nikon would be my choice and most low end rangefinders work well out to 400 yards but beyond that on a bright day there is a huge difference. I have had bushnell and luepold and both had trouble ranging past 400 yards on a bright day. They range farther on over cast days.
We spent the big bucks and got a lieca and it ranges consistently no matter the day 500 to 1200 yards.
One trick is to shade the front objective or wear a black glove to cut the reflection from your hand down for longer ranges.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users