• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

I am still shook up from Wednesday's morning commute to work. At 6 a.m in the morning some joggers were running three abreast in the driving lane and almost got hit by me. They were running in the dark and had no high visibility clothing and or anything that was reflective or any type of head lamp or light.
There is an older woman that runs with her dog but she has a reflective vest on the dog and she wears a red flashing light and that's what these stupid joggers needed.
I think it should be mandatory to wear high visibility clothing and a flashing light visible from front and back whether jogging or riding a bike.
What bothers me the most is I could have killed them and that they never seem to break cadence or even move over. The only thing that kept them from being hit is that I don't drive more than 50 mph through are deer zone.
The previous week I was the first on an accident of a kid that tried to miss a deer and he driving 70 mph and was wearing no seat belt. He was not ejected and had very few injuries. The truck rolled about 300 yards.
It just shows that if your driving through high density deer areas to drive slower so you can react.
Do not try to swerve to miss a deer and don't watch the one crossing the road watch for the one to come behind the first one because most people who hit deer are always watching the first one and hit the second one.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thank the Good Lord you were alert. Runners and walkers can be worse than a really dumb deer. Your admonition of looking not looking at the deer infront of you but look for the one(s) approaching is sage advice. The only deer I hit was #5 of what I thought was a bunch of only 4.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Robert, glad your cooler head prevailed, otherwise we might be getting a report of a jogger being dug out of the grill of your vehicle. We have people in this area that like to ride bicycles down very busy throughfares during RUSHHOUR..... and you can spot them as "recreational riders" because they all have the same yellow and black spandex suit.... My issue with them is that they need to find a different road to ride on. It's just not safe to ride on the roads they're riding on. We as drivers must be ever alert for the hazards of slower vehicles, pedestrians, and animals.
Semper Fi

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'm just glad you (and they) are alright!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I know all too well how you feel. Here most of our roads are both hilly and full of curves with ditches or, in many cases, sheer drop offs of hundreds of feet, so bicyclists ride right in the traffic lanes and joggers run in them. You come around a curve, or up over a hill, and suddenly you are right on top of them. If there is on coming traffic you can't swerve into the oncoming lane to miss them and , due to the drop offs, you can't swerve to the right. You're forced to hit the brake hard! Not particularly good if you have traffic behind you. Even where there is room for bike riders and joggers to be off to the side they still use the traffic lanes like they are daring you to hit them! Like your joggers they often do so at night with no reflecters nor reflective clothing. I almost hit one two nights ago coming home from town. Two lane black top, hills and curves every few yards, no lights but my headlights and this guy was riding a black bicycle and wearing dark grey clothing head to toe. The bike didn't even have reflecters on it! I barely missed him but had I not, and he survived, he'd have probably sued me! Everyone was born with a brain but some are just terminaly stupid!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users