3 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'd like to put my camera back out. Last time I had it out all I got was storm videos. darn front came thru. Looked like a hurricane on play back. I was thinking of putting something out to encourage the deer to stick around awhile for the photo op. What do you use around this time if at all? The area I want to put it is a river bottom with corn & crp near by. Also it it to late to put a plot down like biologic winter bulbs & beats or antler king honey hole? My brother in law said the deer picked out all the beets out of the food plot we have.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I just got a product called Hot Plot made by TrueNorth Outdoors it is a Spring/Fall blend and It's got turnips in it. It says the plant time for the fall for the zone I'm in is from Sept 1st - November 1st. You would be in Zone 2 and that is July 15th-Oct 15th for Fall planting. If I were you I'd go ahead and try it. You might not want to use the Hot Plot since you have corn and CRP nearby but the bulbs and beets should be along the same lines. I'm probably going to put mine out a couple of weeks early, but that will give me a little longer grow time than I would have had at Sept 1st.
Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Check out the game laws here in PA before putting out an attractant i.e. mineral block, corn etc as you cannot hunt that area for a month after the attractant is removed. Same is not true for planted items.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Like Paul said, be sure to check out your local game laws. Here in Missouri we can put out mineral blocks as long as they don't contain any actual food source such as grain. We simply go to the feed store and buy salt blocks. It doesn't take deer long at all to find them and withing just a couple days we were already getting pics on our cameras.

It is crazy how many states won't allow you to use bait but hunting food plots, crops and fruit trees is perfectly legal. You'd think one food source would be the same as another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users