• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Today I spent the morning casting roundball and conical bullets until it started to warm up. With a whole bunch of 50 caliber brand new roundball, I decided I had to shoot some to see how they did.

Then I remembered Falcon posting a while back about shooting his CVA Staghorn at 50 yards with roundball. And I said... Yes!! that is what I want to do. I went and grabbed my rifle that I thought was a Staghorn but accidently grabbed a Knight LK93. Hey stainless barrel, nickel barrel. Black Stock, same scope. Anyone can make a mistake. So I figured.. what the heck.

Now I have shot my Knight LK II with roundball and it did real well. So I thought.. ok, lets see how this one does.

Posted Image

Carried all the gear out the the shooting table that I had to rebuild today. And set the target at what I thought was 50 yards. Got all set up and thought... that don't look like 50 yards. Light bulb moment.. you moved the shooting bench today when you were working on reinforcing the legs for winter. Range finder said 44 yards. And I said.. Good enough!!

Posted Image

Many thanks Semisane.. great lead!!

Posted Image

My LK II likes 50 grains of 2f powder. So I loaded 50 grains of 2f powder. First shot looked pretty good. I ained at that turkey's white head.

Posted Image

So I shot off a few more. And noticed it stringing. That normally means it wants more powder. So I kicked the charge up to 70 grains (by accident I was headed for 60 grains, but the marks on the measure are so worn).

Posted Image

Now I swabbed the barrel real good before shooting 70 grains. But man.. this thing really shoots 70 grains of Schuetzen powder and a home cast roundball. This is a deer killing load here.

I did try the target at 100 yards.

Posted Image

First shot in the red but low. Next shot, rifle so dirty I could hardly load it... the next two shots were all over the place. So I decided this is a short range rifle and short range it will be. But I could kill a deer easy with 70 grains and a roundball. This was a lot of fun and Falcon made me think of it today.. thanks Bud!!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

That is some real good shooting.

i've got to refine my round ball technique. Do you use precut patches or what? i used a square patch and trimmed it but sometimes there was material over the front of the ball. i've read thats not a good thing.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I cut all my patch off the strip at the muzzle. That way I always get a perfectly centered patch.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

I finally found my Knight 50 caliber LK-93 (I thought it was an LK-II) with the 2.5x20mm Simmons Scope. I wanted to see if it would shoot roundball. I decided since the other shot so well with 70 grains I would use that in this rifle also. I was shooting 2f Schuetzen Black Powder, swabbing between shots, pillow tick patching, and moosemilk as the lube. Well I was pleased to discover that this thing really shoots roundball well. Although I had the homecast bullets in .495 diameter bring used, and a couple of them for some reason leaded really hard. But I can not say that is the low hit. As I was not walking up there each and every time.

Now granted this is 43 yards. But for where I hunt these rifles, that is a long shot. I have never had to shoot that far out of the stand I use these rifles in.

That hole in the center is roundball. The ones up high marked in blue are the conicals. For some reason are 450 UC Short Mags with a felt wad shot high. I was going to shoot more but the football game was going to start and I had a rifle to clean.

Posted Image

I purchased some new molds from LEE Molds through Graf's and Sons. A .495 roundball mold, a .535 round ball mold and a .575 roundball mold. I cast up a couple hundred of the .495 ball and they turned out really good. So I have been trying them in my Lyman Rifles, and now my Knight rifles. They do not shoot in my Thompson Center rifles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users