• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

That's right, I said Rifle not Hunter. I had shot already today the Staghorn Magnum and had cleaned it. I was just sitting down ready to rest when the door bell rang. It was the mailman. I got a good deal on a very old in perfect shape Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It has the 1-66 twist, the beautiful wood. Even says it is from Investarm Inc instead of Lyman. And has the black powder warning stamped on the barrel. Like I said it was old, the price was right. And I always wanted one.

He had me sign for a box, and commented to me.. kind of heavy Dave.. wonder what that could be. And I just smiled back and told him to have a nice day.

Opened it up and there was my new/used Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a 1-66 twist not the 1-60 as this is an older rifle. It was in great shape. So I took it down to the cleaning room and cleaned it. Then decided to check the fire channel. And then said... what the heck!!

Put up a target at 25 yards since I had no idea how the rifle shot. Took out some home cast roundball, Schuetzen 2f black powder, pillow tic, and Remington caps. Range finder reminded me I'd moved the bench at it said 28 yards. Amazing little machines these things.

Posted Image

For your viewing pleasure...

Anyway, I shot two rounds at 28 yards for starters. Gun fired perfect.

Posted Image

So I made an adjustment on how I looked over the sights and shot #3. Ok, a little more.

After I had my spot, I just kept blasting away. It shoots a little left for me, but I will drift that sight in a while.

Then I moved the target back to 50 yards and aimed at that little turkey in the corner of the target. I first held dead center on the little bird.

After seeing that I held to the right. The blue marks show my different POA.

Posted Image

So the gun sight needs to be slightly adjusted is all. And I cleaned that rifle up, and it sits on the rifle wall next to the Great Plains Hunter. Nice looking pair.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

I took the rifle out again today and was trying different charges. I started at 70 grains and tried them with and without a wad. I still came back to my original guess of 80 grains and no wad shot the best group. Next time out I will try 3f powder and see if that makes a difference.

Something funny today when shooting.. it could have been the angle of the sun, or the position of the target in the woods, but I really had a hard time focusing on the sight picture and then placing that on the bulls eye. Almost like there was lint on the front sight and it caused a haze almost. I will try shooting in the afternoon next time, when the sun is gone to making a different shadow. Over all I was holding a 2+ group at 50 yards. Not the greatest but not the worst. And it was still to the left. So I am going to have to drift that sight a little.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Right purdy rifle. As mentioned before it looks like minute of venison for sure.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users