2 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I couldnt go out on my local opening archery day (wmu 5c), state wide archery starts on the 29th. I was watching my grandmother in law who's ill while mom in law & wife went to dresden for some expensive kindling. I took my xbow & block target to practice. since I can only shoot at 20 yrds at home. With a shooting stick (aka momma's broom), I was consistantly keeping my poi within the black circle on my block target (original block not the xbow model) out to 50 yrds. I didnt try the 60 yrd reticle on my scope but assumed I'd have similar success. When I got home, I checked my red hot drop program and found that the bottom of the line can do 70 yrds. The only difference with shooting was penetration (obviously). upto 30- 40 yrds, I was burried up to my fletching, at 50 I was only a few inches short of my fletching. In a hunting situation, would shooting beyond 40 yards be ok with my set up? I have 20" parker bolts, 100 gr rage blades, 165 lb draw. I forget the exact fps but its over 300 (I think when I had it chrono'd last spring, it averaged 318).

Edited by Whitetiger, 19 September 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Those Parker Red Hot bolts have 51grain inserts. They will work with 100gr heads. In effect it's like you are shooting 150gr broadhead. The extra weight and FOC this provides is needed for shooting short fast bolts longer distances.

They should have plenty of punch at 50yards. It's up to your ability and judgement whether you should take the shot at that distance or not.
Posted Image

#3 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Cool, thanks Leo. At that range I wont unless I have a shooting stick and dont have the fever. I miss my pse compound bow but the crossbow can be fun to hunt with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users