Hey Cayugad!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Cayugad, I'm currently using a Traditions Sportster 209 which is a .50cal "magnum" muzzleloader with 300gr Harvester Sabertooth belted bullets and 100gr of Pyrodex 777 50/50 pellets. Are there any other load configurations that you might recommend to increase accuracy and/or knockdown power?
Semper Fi

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

When I was shooting Sabertooth Conicals I found they did not like powerful loads. I had better luck shooting them with a slower burning powder, like Pyrodex RS or Black Powder with about 80 grains. That would mean loose powder for you. A 300 grain is a big bullet. And that in itself provides a lot of knock down power. Although if you were elk hunting, I would look into some other options. If you're limited to conical bullets, try some of the other ones. If you can shoot sabots, then there are many combinations to try that would give better accuracy and still, the knock down you are looking for. Just because you're shooting a magnum muzzleloader by no means does that mean to shoot magnum powder charges.

Also I never liked 777 pellets. I personally had very bad luck with them. I liked Pyrodex RS pellets much more.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Cayugad the ONLY reason I'm hesitant to change anything is because my rifle shoots well with that setup. I figured with your knowledge you could give me some pointers. I'll have to pick up some RS and see what results I get. I haven't used anything but 777 in this gun since I got it. Though I have tried T/C Shockwaves and a couple other saboted bullets in it. The Shockwaves I have just about convinced myself that I got a bad batch or something because they didn't fly well out of this gun AT ALL...... Maybe it's me, maybe it's the gun but with the 777 that I've been using the ST's have grouped and hit the mark the best. I'm not about to put 150gr of powder behind any bullet in this gun. So you don't have to worry about me shooting magnum powder charges out of it. I am however possibly going to be in the market for a new muzzy sometime in the not too distant future and I'm thinking going with another inline. I've heard you saying some very good things about several rifles so I'll just have to review all your posts and go from there. LOL
Semper Fi

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Depending on what you want to spend.. the Knight Mountaineer is a great but expensive rifle. The CVA Accura II (make sure it is the II) has been getting some excellent reports. And is much more cost effective. Then the T/C Triumph is a good sabot shooter.

If you are having good accuracy with the Sabertooth, and Triple Seven then don't change a thing. That is a good bullet. Have you ever shot Speer Gold Dots? Or maybe Hornady FPB's?

Right now I have been shooting a lot of Bloodline bullets made by Lehigh for Knight Rifles. They are made out of brass, but shoot real well. And I just finished casting up a lot of conical bullets I want to start shooting next week.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I've actually tried a couple of sabots, but none of them really did well out of this gun..... Don't remember the make or brand but this blasted thing doesn't like sabots it likes belts... and the heavier the better. The 777 cruds the barrel up something fierce and I'm guessing it's something with the steel the barrel is made out of, it takes 12-14 times alternating my .50cal copper bore brush and solvent patches, before I can get close to getting a clean patch through this thing. It's solvent patch, bore brush repeat x13, dry patch, repeat x~8, check with lube patch and continue with solvent and bore brush a few more times, dry patches, then lube patches until it shows a clean bore.
Semper Fi

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

777 in some rifles can be a real bear when it comes to crud. Try some pyrodex maybe. When I shoot 777 I clean with dishwater.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

I'll definately give that a try....(both ideas actually)
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users