• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Today I wanted to shoot flintlock. And I have not shot the Trade Rifles in a long time. I could not decide which one I wanted to shoot, the .50 or the .54.. so I took them both out.

Posted Image

I started out at 25 yards because I wanted to see how this 50 caliber would shoot the .504 diameter 450 grain UC Short mag conical bullets I casted. First off, they loaded like a dream. Just a nice slip fit. I only put 60 grains of powder under them with no wad. And they shot to the left of the bull in a not too impressive group. Perhaps more powder, a wad, who knows.. it was a first attempt.

Since I know the rifle shoots roundball real well with 70 grains of powder.. I took some home cast roundball and pillow tick. I used dishwater as the patch lube and shot them at the bulls eye.. they did pretty good. I did actually shoot one round at 50 yards, the one under the red square. But decided I wanted to shoot bigger things still.

So I got out the .54 Trade Rifle flintlock. I had some Semisane .535 ball left and wanted to try them at 50 yards. I loaded 90 grains of powder which this .54 seems to like.

Posted Image

I shot three and noticed they were a little high off the bull so I adjusted my POA and shot three more... Now that pleased me. I had to pull the target to find #6 but on the back of the cardboard #4 showed a secondary cut to the hole. The front showed a little of that, but either that or I missed the target completely with the last shot.

I was going to shoot more, but of course company had to show up. So I called it a day. But it was fun to get the flintlocks out.

That dishwater lube, before you laugh... try it. You can swab with it too. These were some ball that Semisane made me. And they sure shoot good!!!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Sounds like a fun day. Definately minute of venison. :hunter:

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

I like that term... minute of venison. :hunter:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

That is good shooting for any rifle but out of a flinch lock that is excellent.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users