3 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

We have one of the largest deer kills since the 70's. The record heat has devestated our herds. I have been in the stand since the 15th and harvested one doe but have seen very little. I talked to one of our game officials and he said it seems to be mainly in the North east and Central part of the state. I smelled one in one of my areas in mid July, but have not noticed any more. I guess this is nature's way of taking care of the over-population. 1 down and 5 more to go. Anyone else have an issue with this disease affecting their herd?

Steve

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

I live in a special regulation area due to the higher deer population. Fortunately, its never struck my part of the state.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

It does happen in PA. Most recently last year or the year before a number of deer in the southwest part of PA died of ehd. I read somewhere that two deer have died this year in PA of ehd.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Around the greater Pittsburgh area, they just had an interview on the news a couple weeks ago with the local Wildlife Conservation Officer about an EHD die off. Apparently, a number of deer have turned up dead around the Ohioville/Industry area (Southwest Pennsylvania). They say that it generally runs in cycles of 5 to 10 years. Several deer that have been exposed manage to survive and actually develop an immunity. However, once those deer die off (natural causes, predators, hunters, etc.) the "new crop" coming in do not have their immunity and the cycle starts all over again. All it takes is a hot, dry summer at that point. The deer have to congregate tighter and tighter at limited water sources and the midge flies that carry the disease have themselves a smorgasbord. Thankfully, the first real, good frost of the fall usually takes care of the flies and halts the disease 'til next summer. Today was opening day of PA archery white-tail season, but I'm laid up with a bum knee. So, I haven't been out to see how things are doing in person.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users