• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Today I decided to get ready for the upcoming bird season. As in the past I use a 12 gauge black powder shotgun. Normally I was shooting my 12 gauge New Englander. But decided the TK2000 Knight is much easier to load and faster. Since I no longer have a dog to point the birds out to me and make the gun more apt to be ready, I need to be fast. The Knight is much faster to flip off a side safety then to ###### a hammer.

Posted Image

So out in the yard I went. I decided to shoot American Pioneer Powder as normal. But discovered I had shot all my 2f APP off. Darn.. Posted Image

So checking supplies I found a new bottle of Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder. I convinced myself that the difference between the 2f APP and the 3f JSG could not be that much.

Now when one considers the difference between a Grouse Load and a Turkey Load think of it like this..

Posted Image

One holds a little more shot then the other one. And more shot means more recoil. But heck.. I am a man. I can take it. So I took a 2 liter plastic bottle and filled it with water. Carried that out in the yard and set it up at 40 yards ... range finder varified.

I loaded the normal turkey load of 100 grains of APP 2f.. but wait, I am shooting 3f JSG. Should not make that much difference .. right? I was setting the whole show off with a Winchester 209 primer. So I loaded the powder. Then pushed one of those 3-1/2 inch shotgun wads down the bore. Then an equal measure from another wad of #5 lead bird shot and #6 bird shot mixed. Crawled behind that shotgun and... Took a bead on the water bottle and fired... Holy Cow!!! that gun kicked.

Through all the smoke every thing disappeared. I think my lower dental plate shifted. And my shoulders met up somewhere in the middle of my back. But I knew I had fun... right.

Posted Image

The shot did not penetrate completly through the bottle, but it did put numerous pellets in the bottom of that plastic bottle. So for KICKS I set the bottle out at 45 yards. Went back and decided.. its not nice to shoot that much powder at a poor defensless bird. So I reduced the powder charge to 80 grains. Loaded up another turkey load and fired...

Posted Image

That time the recoil was not so bad... What!! Who am I kidding. Man that thing kicks. But the bottle went across the lawn some more, so I knew I was hitting even out to 45 yards...

Then I decided to pattern the shotgun with the JSG. So I loaded up another turkey load.. and looked to see if there was someone I coudl talk into shooting this thing for me. No one.. just my luck!

Posted Image

I set out a box at 30 yards. Which is normally further then I set my decoys anyway. And crawled behind that TK2000. I wonder if TK stands for technical knock out? And fired at the box. Well this JSG pattern is a little higher then the APP does. Even with 80 grains. But its a good pattern.

I then shot a few more of the turkey loads. And decided.. if I shoot at a turkey, something is going to die for sure.

Then we loaded up 80 grains of JSG and the grouse loads.. What a pleasure to shoot. Granted it still kicked. But this was like a dream compared to those turkey loads. I shot a total of 13 times and decided I had shot enough today. I am ready for bird season.

Edited by cayugad, 28 September 2012 - 01:20 PM.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'd have paid money to see that first shot. :roflmao: Nice pattern.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

You wanted to see recoil from a shotgun. I was turkey hunting a few years back with my double barrel 12 gauge that handles 3 inch shells. I was using #4 Remington Nitro Express 3 inch shells in it. That year I had purchased a really neat little chair that kept your backside off the wet grass and away from the wood ticks and such. But the problem is, it was not all that steady on a slight hill. But I was being careful and sitting very still with my back to the woods.

I had two tags and had to shoot two toms that year. So I set the decoys out at 25 yards and got to work that morning, calling and clucking. Pretty soon I got an answer, so I called out again and could see three turkeys coming across the corner of the corn field by the woods. I used a Lynch box call most the time, but set that down and put the Quaker Boy mouth call in and began to cluck sweet love songs. My decoys are a hen and a jake. And I always have the jake mounting the hen. The old Toms just hate that.

So there I was doing my balancing act and had the shotgun up on the sticks already, just waiting for a chance at a Tom. Well all three of them came into range. And all three were legal Toms with even nice beards. And being greedy and wanting to show the farmer that this turkey hunting is a piece of cake, decided... lets shoot two of them Toms out of the flock. So I had double triggers on that old double barrel of mine, and I put a finger on each trigger. I had a good bead on one Tom and thought... after I pull that front trigger and take him, I will swing over on that second Tom and smack him as well.

I slowly got my aim on the first bird and squeezed the trigger. That Nitro Express went BOOM!!! and that old double barrel kicked the snot out of me so much that I tripped on my little stool and the back finger hit the second trigger at the same time, so the first bird got a double dose.

I suddenly was laying on my back, shoulder all sore, and I could hear turkeys running across that corn field. But I could also hear one doing the death flapping. So I got one anyway. Later I took another. But I never put both fingers on triggers again while sitting in the suicide chair.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

I would guess that we all have a story or two similar to yours but I will refrain from mine and relish in the mental pic of yours for now.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users