• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

I just got back from a western Kansas whitetail hunt with my son-in-law. No I am not going to talk about the monster buck I missed but would like to give a positive report on the 3 deer we did get. I shot my knight bighorn using 85 grains of 2f goex and my favorite Hornady 300 grain XTP bullets in a Harvester crush rib sabot. My rather over sized body buck, (too bad the antlers were not a match) was shot at about 75 yds broadside at a somewhat uphill angle and a complete pass through. The buck only made it about 25 yds till it fell. My son in law came and said what is this. He reached down and picked up a piece of what looked like meat. We both concluded it looked exactly like the bottom of the heart but it was laying outside the deer where it fell. When we field dressed it sure enough the bottom of the heart was missing as well as one lung a total mess.

Kenny was shooting a CVA inline with the same bullet combo but only 70 grains of 3f goex. He shot a buck at about 20 yds and made a total mess of the lungs. His other shot was a doe at 101 steps and even with what some would call a puny load of 70 gr of powder he had a complete pass through. He was all grins on his guns performance and especially the bullets performance.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

That is a great bullet with all the power you need out of great shooting rifles. That Bighorn is a great rifle. I'd own one but have three LK rifles which were the early model Bighorns. Kind of silly for me to own four of them.

Congratulations to the both of you on the deer you harvested. Are the Kansas deer crop eaters or plains eaters? I wondered if it made their taste different then say one from your home state area. I know the deer in Northern Wisconsin taste much different then the ones in Southern Wisconsin.

I shoot that exact same load and the accuracy is exceptional out of my Knight Rifles. I never felt under powered. And knowing that 70 grains and that bullet gets a pass through at that distance.. sure boosts the confidence level in the load.

Way to go!!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Congrats on the deer. :blink: How did you miss the big one? Musta been while you were pouring coffee. ;)

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ok time to fess up on the miss. I was set up to shoot east where my son-in-law shot his. I saw one deer to the east but could not see it's head. As I was ready if it was a buck I happened to look behind me in the field and there was the big boy coming toward me. I tried to get turned but only partially succeeded. It was a makable shot but was an awkward hold. There was possibly a bit of buck fever involved. Nontheless I missed the shot at a deer walking in wheat stubble. I should have waited as it was moving toward me but not only was the position awkward it was a bit painful. Not as painful as when I realized I had missed a chip shot and could have waited and had a shot I could not have missed.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

Glad to see you still get buck fever Paul, that's what makes hunting great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users