Disappointed.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I was given my father's .38 special pistol today. I was thinking the barrel was 4" and considered using it for moderngun firearms season this year. Upon measuring it is only 3 inches. Arkansas law states that handguns must have a minimum 4" barrel to be legal to use. I have shot this pistol before and am very confident with my ability to hit with it. I thought if it was legal it would be a fitting tribute to use it this deer season to take down a deer. If it's illegal it's illegal, but I'm curious how they decided on the 4" barrel rule? Since we lost him it's been tough on us and I've been looking for any way to pay tribute I could. This is a man that destroyed his body working to raise my siblings and myself, he deserves all the respect we can pay him. Maybe I can talk my nephew into hunting with Dad's .358 Savage or my brother into using Dad's 12GA this year to take a deer. Unless someone has an idea for something I could do to legally use the pistol. I'm open to suggestions.
Semper Fi

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Have a compensator installed on the barrel. That will increase the length by an inch or more.
Posted Image

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Leo do they make compensators for revolvers of that caliber? Or would it be a job for a gunsmith?
Semper Fi

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

It's a gunsmith job. It may or may not be possible. Some guns also can have a longer barrel installed.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

I have a 3 inch barreled 38 spcl called a detective special. I have carried it but not for hunting. There are standard 38 spcl loads as well as +P loads. I would not consider the standard load a reliable deer load. I was cautioned against using the hotter +P loads as my gun is an older model and the +P loads will only loosen up the action and would otherwise make an older model 38 less of a handgun. A 38 spcl will kill a deer but it would have to be at very close range especially with that short of a barrel.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Leo I was thinking about a longer barrel as well..... I'll put in a few calls today and see what I can come up with.

Paul, I am taking things into consideration. Most of my shots are going to be less than 20yds so distance isn't much of a factor. It's more of a sentiment thing than anything. This was Dad's pistol and I want to utilize it in some way he could be proud.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users