10 replies to this topic

#1 MyShootinStinks

MyShootinStinks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Hunting with sidelocks, Civil war, camping

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

I was wondering what gun you guys or gals will be taking hunting this year? I will be primarly taking my new centimark 62 cal. smoothbore flintlock out to the woods. I will be using 70 gr. 3 F goex with a patched .60 325 gr. rb. that should do the job.
[img][IMG]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp100/muzzleloaderdan/th_DSC00380.jpg[/img] [img]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp100/muzzleloaderdan/th_DSC00379.jpg[/img][/img]

Edited by MyShootinStinks, 21 October 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

I love to hunt no matter the season or the weapon used. I do love to use the front loader type best but will still use a modern weapon at times. I really love PAs late flintlock only season and will be using a semi custom flinter with an L&R lock and a green Mt barrel with a 1:28 twist or possibly the 1:48 twist barrel with a bore size conical. Aah decisions, decisions, decisions.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Once again (since the early 90's) I will be using my Lyman Deerstalker flintlock and my go to projectile will be a TC conical in 370 grainer. A few years ago I had some Hornady 180 grn round balls not do the job and switched to the 370's 2 years ago and killed a doe and now that is the only thing I use. Very efective.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

That is a beautiful smoothbore. I had a .62 caliber smoothbore and shot a .600 ball with patch. The problem with it was after 35 steps I could not consistently place my shot in what I feel is good accuracy. For instance, I shot at a brown grocery sack at 75 yards one after noon. Five shots I took from a rested position. Two ball hit that sack. To me that was unacceptable. Yet at 30 yards I could shoot a three inch circle with ease. I wish you the best of luck with your smoothbore. That is a beautiful gun you have there.

As for which muzzleloader I am going to use... well I have not made up my mind. I am still shooting different rifles to see which one appeals to me.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Cayugad with your arsonal that could take the rest of the year just to make up your mind Lol.

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

No stinky, smoking, flame belching muzzle loaders here. The Weatherby will do the deed. Nice looking coal burner there. Good luck during the season with it. Cayugad, just close your eyes, reach in and grab one. It will be easier that way. :yes:

#7 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

Savage Stevens 110 in 30'06 will be my rifle of choice this year. Other wise Im toting my Parker buckmaster 165 crossbow.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Cayugad with your arsonal that could take the rest of the year just to make up your mind Lol.

All joking aside.. I almost purchased another one today. I was at Wal Mart and they had a stainless, fluted, CVA Optima for $219.00 before tax. Now I don't have that model. And I handled it, and asked if it had the blackhorn compatible speed breech. Well the cashier was not sure. So I told him if he removed the trigger guard and let me check, if it had the speed breech, I would purchase it. Well it did not. So I told him to put it back on the shelf... that was a close call.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well that is a big surprise to me. Most times something like that follows you home. Guess not all of them do.

#10 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Our black powder season start Nov. 3. I'll have my 50 cal TC Hawkins percussion with 90 grains of FFFg and a 320 grain maxi ball. I love this gun. It is a tack driver at 50 yards.

In NH where I hunt you don't get many shots much further away. We are a forested state. Very little agriculture.

Edited by Coalman, 26 October 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Your eye in the northeast sky.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Our black powder season start Nov. 3. I'll have my 50 cal TC Hawkins percussion with 90 grains of FFFg and a 320 grain maxi ball. I love this gun. It is a tack driver at 50 yards.

In NH where I hunt you don't get many shots much further away. We are a forested state. Very little agriculture.

Where I hunt it is much the same way. Unless your hunting a hay field, most of my shots are 35 yards. 50 yards is a LONG shot. And that maxiball out of a hawken sure plants deer. My friend shoots a .54 Hawken T/C and shoots a 300 grain REAL conical. I have seen deer just fold when that gun goes off with that bullet. Good luck to all of you hunting this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users