4 replies to this topic

#1 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

Last year I was lucky enough to get a shot at a cow elk. Upon releasing the arrow the heard scattered and I was absolutely certain I had missed. Her postition was easily marked and there was absolutely no blood, hair, or anything! We were able to call the Elk back within site and I tried to manage another shot, but Luckily it didn't pan out. I say luckily b/c I had indeed hit the cow with the first shot. It was a complete pass through her heart but the first 15 yards left very, very, little blood. We did recover the Elk not far away but I could have been in big trouble if I'd managed a shot at one of the others. So, learn from my (almost) mistake :D .

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

tdl12321 what was the setup you were using? Not to second guess you - not one bit but I'm curious to what broadhead, arrows used, weight and poundage your bow was at, this might help those going. How far of shot was it, standing or kneeing ? Things like that so preparations can be adjusted now if possible needed.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:44 AM

Rowdy it was a 53 yard downhill shot. I had my outback 27.7 inch draw at 70 pounds. Shooting gold tips with a Wasp Boss Bullet broadheads. They are not a very intimidating broadhead to look at, but they certainly do the job. Not to mention they shoot great! 50 yards in that big open country looks more like 30 so take a range finder if you have it.(ALthough I never had a chance to use mine)

Another tip I learned from the experience--- if you scattered the Elk imdediately begin to use a cow call. Not just once or twice but get real aggressive with it. Maybe I just got lucky but we were able to call the elk into the open.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

Great information - One thing I picked up make sure you can shoot somewhat proficiently at 40 plus yards. I agee when I was out west last summer things just seem closer or larger and it threw me off judging how far things were from me. Like those mountain that looked like they were a couple of mile away were actually 40 something mile off :lol: Take a range finder and use it alot before you are faced with the opportunity so you can better judge how far your big opportunity shot really is. And you can share your memorable day on the mountain with all of us someday soon, Is It September Yet? Good luck all you lucky elk hunters!

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 20 July 2006 - 03:30 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

First and foremost after you shoot at a game animal.

FIND THE ARROW!

I've had plenty of blood trails from arrow shot game that really didn't start going for 40yds. The arrow is your absolute best tell tale of a hit. An arrow can not pass through an animal and not get bloody. Expandables sometimes don't exit so if you absolutely can't find the arrow, assume a hit. Follow where you last saw the animal go. You might still find part of the arrow if it didn't pass thru on this track.

I one time shot a deer that left a "CHERRY" arrow and no blood trail whatsoever. I found her, she didn't go far (she was hit solid thru the heart) but all I had to follow was kicked up leaves and a couple of busted limbs. The only blood I found was on the arrow and where she lay.

Number one rule: Find the arrow ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users