• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keykeeper

keykeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

hello, have a question.... got an opportunity to pick up a used martin compound bow...model a lynx. it has an adjustable draw weight of 55-70 lbs. the current draw length is 31 inches .... i use a 27 inch draw....can this be adjusted down before i spend the money on it...and find out i can't use it? thanks for any and help/info.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I believe that there have been different incarnations of the Martin Lynx bow over the years. Each would generally be considered "vintage", having steel cables and no recessed sight window. Some had more rounded (energy) wheels while some had more aggressive (egg-shaped) cams. The wheel models basically just had three different "slots" you could move the string into on each wheel to adjust draw length. I don't remember how much of a draw length range this gave, but I would guess 1" per slot at the most. In other words, unless you really "short-strung" the bow, there's not much chance it would fit you. The cam models, again, going from memory, had draw length modules you could swap on each cam by removing a couple screws. I do not remember the range available on those either, but if I were to guess I would say that 27" was possible.

Honestly, your chances of finding a set of modules (if they do make 27") for a "mature" bow is likely not all that great. I would start by searching the internet (likely ebay) and even contact Martin directly. (They may not be able to help at all. But, you never know for sure. Hoyt was able to help me out with a bow of theirs once when I still worked in archery retail and needed a part or two for a customer's bow that was older than I am.) Beyond that, it never hurts to call a few local archery shops. I don't know about your area, but around me there are some that have been in business a long time and have gems like these parts just laying around collecting dust.

Do your homework before buying and bear in mind that a bow of this type is generally not considered worth too much time or hassle (money, for that matter) to get up and shooting. But, for a starter bow, if it is sound and can be made to fit you... enjoy.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 keykeeper

keykeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

thanks for info....reading your reply....i realized i have mis-typed....should be ...i use a 28 inch draw.....but your info would work for that too. great help. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users