• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I built a table, on wheels many years ago. And its been a faithful shooting bench as long as you can drag it around and on occasion take a hammer and pound loose nails back in. Its one draw back is winter time. When the snow hits, you're pretty well grounded to one spot.

So I played with the idea of buying a new shooting table. But really did not like what I saw, both in style and price. So an on line search showed how to make your own out of an old weight lifting bench. Well I just happen to have one on them back in the woods in a blind. I put a board across where the bar goes and I use that as a shooting platform out of the blind. It always worked good. So out with the ATV and the trailer and back to the workshop with the weight bench.

Digging around I found some treated plywood and some treated 2x4s so I was all set...

With a lot of head scratching, then sitting on the bench and leaning around, I discovered that the top of the bar holding area was about the perfect height... So out came the saws all and in seconds were were ready to begin the build.

Posted Image

the seat on the old weight bench is in bad shape from years of being out in the elements.. so I have a hunk of treated plywood on it to keep my bottom happy. Its a very sturdy little bench and easy to move around as the table top lift off, and the bench itself is very light.

Posted Image

also I put in some creature comforts. How many times have you set your range rod on the bench, only to have it roll off into the dirt and mud? Or you set your powder measure or short starter down, and then can't find it? It happens to me all the time.

So my shooting bag sits under the table in front of me where I can store the powder, and bullets.. and the ramrod, short starter and powder measure all fit into their own holes on the top so they are right at my view. Also I cut out a hole so the rifle barrel can rest in there and I don't have to worry about the rifle running the side of the table and then falling off onto the ground. Or as usually the case for me, on the sights or scope.

Well it was 25 degrees here today and windy. Kind of nasty. But I had to try out that bench. And I looked at my file on the Optima and it showed it was hitting low at 50 yards. So I made my first adjustment before even shooting and headed out the the new shooting table.

Posted Image

The first shots were with 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 and the 300 grain .452 Hornady XTP in short black Nosler sabots. I moved up 10 grains because a different member said with his identical rifle and projectile he got excellent results with 100 grains. Well at 50 yards the group was not all that bad for four shots.

So I made the second scope adjustment.. and backed down to 90 grains like I was using the day before. The next two shots were right where I wanted them.

So I had two of the 300 grain XTP left in that box, so I hiked the target back to the end of the range and set it up. The range finder said 95 yards on the first shot. As cold as it was that was good enough for me.

I took the two shots at 95 yards.. and was very pleased. Although, why I tend to shoot to the left (I do this a lot so it must be me or the trigger control I am guessing) but I could live with a hit where that was.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Nice shooting. Now, you are going to have to get a nice soft cushion to cover that plywood. Slivers in the cheeks are no fun!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

I also have been thinking of an upgrade to the prototype bench I made many years ago. I may get to mine after January though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

When I was getting the oil changed in my truck last week... the Chevrolet dealer had these little pad cushions for free that said GMC on them. I think next time in town I will stop and grab about four of them and then make a nice padded seat out of them. The cover is plastic so it should shed water and snow pretty good. They had a whole box of them so they will not miss a couple of them.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users