• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stud70

Stud70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I just got a box of easton axis with HIT inserts they are 340 grain 30" and I have a little problem. There is a gap between the front of the shaft and the back of the field point. I'm insure of what I need to fix this.

#2 Stud70

Stud70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Can someone help me?

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not going to be a whole lot of traffic on Christmas day. ;)

Where did you buy the arrows?

Who installed the inserts?

How much of a gap are we talking about? (Can you provide a picture?)

Axis arrows come packaged full length, uncut, with the inserts uninstalled. The inserts are generally in a plastic bag along with a packet of two-part epoxy, an insert installation tool, a sanding stone for chamfering the inner edge of the end of the arrow shaft, and HIT (Hidden Insert Technology) installation instructions. The inserts are generally installed at the point of purchase if the customer provides a length for the arrows to be cut to. Or, the customer can elect to cut and install inserts themselves if they have the ability (proper tools and knowledge).

I see two possible reasons for your issue:

1. The insert installation tool provided to ensure proper depth of the inserts into the shaft was not used (or was not used properly) and the inserts are simply not set deep enough into the shaft to allow your points to seat properly.
  2. The provided chamfering stone was not used (or was not used properly) on the end of the shaft to allow the point to screw in completely flush to the end of the shaft.

Following are the instructions provided by Easton for HIT installation:

1. Chamfer shaft inside, using the chamfer stone. Without chamfering the shaft, there may be a small gap between shaft and point, even when there seems a tight fit. The chamfer stone ensures a flat shaft base and properly sized chamfer for optimal fit with broadheads and field points.
  2. Clean inside of shaft with a 91% Isopropyl Alcohol swab or cotton bud. Allow to let dry for 5 minutes.
  3. Cut corner of epoxy sachet and squeeze out all the epoxy and mix well with a toothpick or paddle pop stick ensuring you stir all of the contents.
  4. Dip the back of the insert in the epoxy in a circular motion
  5. Push the insert into the shaft and rotate insert at least 180 degrees until a little bit of the insert is sticking out.
  6. Wipe off excess glue.
  7. Use the installation tool to push the insert inside the shaft.
  8. Do not stop pushing until the installation tool stops at the shaft, that is it is flush and there is no gap. Remove installation tool.
  9. Rest shaft horizontally on a bench or safe place so that the shaft is secure. Allow the epoxy 24 hours to dry before use.
  10. Store your chamfer stone and installation tool in your broadhead storage box.
  11. Dispose of the empty epoxy sachet thoughtfully.
  12. Remember not to use your arrows for 24 hours as the epoxy definitely needs that period of time to cure.

If you believe that any of these steps were not followed, you may wish to contact the individual or store where the arrows where purchased. You may also wish to attempt to contact Easton Archery if you find no satisfaction there.

Best to you and Merry Christmas.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: archery, easton, axis, hit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users