8 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

My son came by today with a new Remington Bolt Action .270 and this 1911 A1. We took them out back and had a good time shooting at targets. When finished Jason handed me the .45 and said Merry Christmas dad! I thought he was kidding but nope. Think I about broke his back hugging him! ;) Anyhow it's  a Rock Island 1911 A1  .45 and he also gave me a Black Hawk Close Quarters Concealment Holster to carry it in. I can tell you I'll carry this proudly and cherish it always! :)

SAM_0297.jpg

SAM_0298.jpg

#2 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Nice looking piece and very nice present.

Stock up on ammo now before this stuff gets out of hand.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks. :) We've been stocking up on ammo for quite some time now. A couple years actualy. Handgun, rifle and shotgun.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

That .45 is a real man stopper.  The full size is a little hard to conceal, but I used to carry the Colt Combat Commander in .45 for many years.  Even though it was carried locked, cocked, and ready to rock.. it was my favorite.  That is quite the son you have there.  What a wonder gift.

Edited by cayugad, 10 January 2013 - 11:21 PM.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks, I'm quite proud of him. I'm still in shock that he gave it to me. :)  I intend to carry Cocked & Locked. With the double safety I see no problem with it.  This 1911 is slimmer than some and I was surprised at how light it is, even fully loaded with 9 rounds. It is also surprisingly easy to conceal, probably due to being thin. I tried it in three differant holsters so far. A Fobus Evolution II, the Black Hawk Close Quarters Conceal, and a molded leather Bull Dog. All ride on the belt and I was surprised that the Fobus actualy concealed best.   I think because it rides a bit higher in it. It hides pretty well under an un-tucked T-shirt. I'll still keep my PF-9 and carry it as a back up since it fits easily in a pocket.

Edited by Spirithawk, 11 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Dang I am going to have to do much more hinting to my son.  He usually gets the object and I get the bill.  Not really but you do have a very special son give Jason a hug for us.  Sure hope to meet him again when we get there.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Paul, I think so too and I'll do that. Been a bit worried about him. He has a lump in his neck and is having a Cat Scan done Tuesday. Doctor doesn't think it's on his thyroid but blood tests showed he has Hypothyroidism like me.  I just learned something interesting about my new pistol, at least I think so. Seems Rock Island Armory is owned by Colt. They make many of the parts for Colt's firearms. Not only that but, in their deal with Colt, they got Colt's original machinery for making 1911s so my new Rock Island 1911 A-1 Officer's Model was made on the original machines. Kinda cool I thought. :).

Edited by Spirithawk, 11 January 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I had a "Jackass Leather Goods" shoulder holster for mine.  It carried the pistol butt forward off draw, and two magazines on the other side.  When I was a a police man on duty, I often had that under my jacket.  The holster is very well made, form fitted to the weapon, and I never worried about it the way it was carried.

http://www.usgalco.c...651&CatalogID=2

This was the exact holster.  But when I purchased it thirty some years ago..  it was a little cheaper then it is now. It was very comfortable and held to your pants belt with a simple belt keeper.  But I am sure a pancake holster under a long tail shirt would work just fine for what you want.  Look at Duluth Trading Company..

http://www.duluthtrading.com/   They sell some excellent quality clothing and their shirts can be purchased with extra long tails and bulky which help hide concealled weapons better.

How does that hog leg shoot?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks bunches Cayugad. It shoot pretty dang good. Well ballanced, accurate, performed flawlessly even with rapid fire and has very tolerable recoil. Next time I practice I'll take pics of the target. I think it's a real keeper. Carries pretty nice too for it's size. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users