10 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Just found out that Fred Eichler, Ralph & Vicki C and even Cabelas are boycotting the show this year due to the political bs going on at the esos. Facebook even has a boycott the show club now.

Heres my post on the esos facebook site. ---- I've attended your show every year for as long as Ive been with my wife. We spend the day at the show as my aniversary present before I take her out to dinner. It's a shame that your tucking tail and hiding from something that many families enjoy doing together and is as important to your program as is hunting & fishing. I understand you run a business and its all about the bottom dollar. In hunting we all say we have to stick together, less we get picked apart by the anti hunters from xbowman getting attacked by traditional archers, flintlock hunters condeming inline hunters & the lot of us. We're told to stand strong and stick together in support of each others way of life. Wheres your support to the industry? Its like your obama's cocker spaniel and you just roll over and pee on yourself because he's on a war path stomping on our way of life. You worry about bad publicity? This is the worst. And it wont be the bad economy that you can blame on your poor attendence this year

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

What is going on at the show? I have never gone and no plans to change now but would like to know.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

What is going on at the show? I have never gone and no plans to change now but would like to know.

The company that organizes the show, Reed Exhibitions, has elected to cut all exhibits that showcase "modern sporting firearms" (can't bring myself to call them "assault weapons" because they are not) such as the AR-15 and anything involving "high capacity magazines" as a result of the political fallout from events having taken place in Newtown, CT.

The current list of personalities/attendees/sponsors that have pulled out of the show in outrage over this issue is as follows.

Cabela's

Blaine Anthony, The Bear Whisperer
Boondock Outdoors
Trop Gun Shop
DuckWater Boats Dover Ohio
Lancaster Archery Supply
Nature Blinds, LLC
Whitetail Bosses
Domari Nolo Defense Consulting
Wired Outdoors
Atlantic Tactical
Direct Action Tactical Firearms
Cutting Edge Bullets
Dead Ringer
Kinsey's Outdoors
Open Season TV
X- Stand Treestands
HookHunt
Full Circle Outdoors
Hunters and Guides Connection
Alaska's Ravencroft Lodge
Cross Canyon Arms
Fred Eichler - Fulldraw Outfitters
Ralph & Vicki Cianciarulo - Archers Choice Media
Pat & Nicole Reeve - Driven TV
Lee & Tiffany Lakosky - The Crush
Wyvern Creations
Stokerized Stabilizers
Woodcock Limited of Pennsylvania
My Northeast Outdoors
Arrowhead Outdoors
Midwest Whitetail Outdoors
CanCooker
2 Million Bullets
Firearms Industry Consulting Group
Northern Hideaway Outfitters
Zook Cabins
The Warmbag
Athens Archery
Mountain Dog Chews
Dominator 365
Northern Outdoor Lodge
Droptine Outfitters
Keystone Country Store

This list appears to be growing by the day.

If anyone wishes to contact Reed Exhibitions to voice their opinion, you may go to their website at ReedExpo.com.
(Be sure to mention that your correspondence is in regards to the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show.)

We at HuntingResource.com whole-heartedly support the Second Ammendment rights of citizens to keep and bear arms. We are deeply saddened by the current beating of war drums in Washington which aim to infringe upon such. Our hearts go out to those touched by senseless tragedies such as that which occurred in Newtown, CT. However, we firmly believe that it is impossible to legislate human behavior, which is truly at the heart of such tragic events. Thus seeking to ban or otherwise limit access to certain firearms by law-abiding citizens only further limits the ability of innocent individuals to defend themselves in a world where criminals who do not abide by the law of the land already have the deck stacked in their favor.

Speaking solely for myself, I find the decision of Reed Exhibitions to be doubly disturbing. Not only does it appear to be an insult to law-abiding citizens and supporters of 2A rights, but, as an outdoorsman, I am very saddened to see that such a large celebration of the hunting/fishing/outdoor way of life will be greatly weakened due to the apparent political wavering of Reed Exhibitions. It would be truly upsetting to see this show become only a shell of what it used to be (possibly even to the point of folding). In a time where anti-hunting efforts are at an all-time high as it is, such would be a big loss indeed. I would implore Reed Exhibitions to reconsider their decision(s) concerning the removal of "evil black gun" exhibits and make every effort to bring back as many participants/attendees as possible to the Harrisburg show.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Looks like the show could be a little lame.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

There are bound to be some bare spots at the show but the show fills up a number of halls and if you were never there it is really big.  With all the big names in hunting that have pulled out it will definately affect attendance.   The last time I was there we had to park nearly half a mile away from the farm show building.  I do not plan on attending this year though.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Wow I just read this tonight !!!
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

As an update, there are now well over 100 vendors/exhibitors/personalities that have pulled out of this show held annually in Harrisburg, PA. (The Easton Sports & Outdoors Show) Reed Expositions still refuses to reconsider their stance of pulling any and all exhibits that involve "Modern Sporting Rifles". This has forced the NRA to withdraw from the show as well.

At this point, I suppose that one of two things will happen. The show will be forced to shut down or it will go forward as, basically, a Fishing & Camping show that is likely swamped with more protesters than participants. Clearly, this is a public relations nightmare all around.

sig_admin.png

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Maybe next year they can call it the Eastern Sling Shot and Spit Ball Show.  I hear that more and more participants are pulling out.  Many are doing this at a great financial burdon as many outfitters/guides get a significant booking at the show.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Statement from Reed Exhibitions (EastonSportShow.com):

"Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

It has become very clear to us after speaking with our customers that the event could not be held because the atmosphere of this year’s show would not be conducive to an event that is designed to provide family enjoyment. It is unfortunate that in the current emotionally charged atmosphere this celebratory event has become overshadowed by a decision that directly affected a small percentage of more than 1,000 exhibits showcasing products and services for those interested in hunting and fishing.

ESS has long been proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of hunting and fishing traditions, and we hope that as the national debate clarifies, we will have an opportunity to consider rescheduling the event when the time is right to focus on the themes it celebrates."

If I may be so bold as to paraphrase...

"We still haven't changed our stance nor do we have any understanding that Modern Sporting Rifles ARE used for hunting by many outdoorsmen and women on a regular basis. We blame the emotional reaction(s) of everyone who has pulled out of the show for leaving us with little choice but to, in essence, shut it down. If, however, the current administration is able to push new MSR bans through Congress in the near future, and people have short enough memories to forget what we have done, we may reconsider having the show as MSRs won't be legal to exhibit then anyway."

sig_admin.png

#10 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Statement from Reed Exhibitions (EastonSportShow.com):

If I may be so bold as to paraphrase...

"We still haven't changed our stance nor do we have any understanding that Modern Sporting Rifles ARE used for hunting by many outdoorsmen and women on a regular basis. We blame the emotional reaction(s) of everyone who has pulled out of the show for leaving us with little choice but to, in essence, shut it down. If, however, the current administration is able to push new MSR bans through Congress in the near future, and people have short enough memories to forget what we have done, we may reconsider having the show as MSRs won't be legal to exhibit then anyway."

I think your paraphrased that rather well. I Just read that they manage the shot show under nssf direction and that the nssf is considering alternative management.

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

For anyone who was considering attending the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA specifically to book a hunt with an outfitter, apparently some of them are putting together an "Outfitter Show" of their own due to the cancellation of the big Harrisburg show (detailed above). If interested, this "Outfitter Show" will be held on February 2nd from 2-8 PM EST at the Hotel Carlisle & Embers Convention Center. Their contact information is:

Hotel Carlisle & Embers Convention Center

1700 Harrisburg Pike

Carlisle, PA 17015

Phone: 717-243-1717

Toll Free: 877-718-0592

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users