• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hello Again Hunting Resource, 

It feels like forever since I stopped by. Had to reset my password 'cause I forgot it. Then spent a while trying to catch up. Have to say how much I appreciate the folks on here and credit these forums with my first successful deer season this year. It was just a small doe, but nothing ever tasted so good. So, thanks again.

Anyhow, the business of this post. 

Traded my old Glock service pistol for a new Taurus .44 mag. Not one of the fancy models. Just the plain Stainless model with... 7.5" barrel - I think. 

It functions and looks nice from a distance but leads up like crazy with my hand loads. I've played with different, always light, loads and had the same results. Lead ribbons come out when cleaning and deposits of lead have to be scraped off of the front sight above the ports. I read a few things about improving accuracy on revolvers and finally ran a slug down the bore. It came out .429 across the groves and .428 on the lands. That's if I am any good with my calipers. I figured that was right were it should be and went back to wondering what I was doing wrong. Later, I recalled reading something about the cylinder throats should be larger than the bore so the bullet won't be undersized when firing. I went back to my slug, tried it in every throat and sure enough, it didn't fit in any. Calipers measured five throats at about .425 and one was .429. I can see a slight copper tint to the throats which is presumably fouling from the 50 factory rounds I shot. Could that affect the inner diameter that much? The throats are not well finished. Actually, gun owners used to S&Ws would probably say it looks like the whole gun was machined with rocks. But if a little polishing would smooth them out and open them up a bit, I think that would be a step in the right direction. 

Anyone have a similar experience with a gun like this?

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users