• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I took my flintlock that has been loaded for quite a while out today and shot it.  I took aim at a wrist size stub sticking out of the snow.  I had the rifle snugged up to a tree and 75 yds away was the stub.  Man that rifle went off and when I walked up to the stub it had a hole in it and a streak of dirt right behind it.  Oh well it is really nice to know that if that doe would have just stopped for a minute in a more broadside position it would have followed me home at the end of a rope. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Actually that is very comforting to know.  How do you store that flintlock so the load does not get contaminated?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Dave I had the rifle standing in my basement beside my reloading bench for a couple of weeks and it was kinda warm and most definately dry.  It went off with as much gusto as if I had only just loaded it.  I actually forgot I still had it loaded till the other day I saw it sitting there.  This barrel is the 1:28 twist and was loaded with a sabot and a 300 grain Hornady XTP.  Moisture could have got to the powder only through the vent hole.  I had one loaded till April one year and it went off well too. 

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

I have no basement at my home.  And believe me, I miss not having a basement.  So when I wanted to store a rifle without unloading it, I would put the rifle in the garage.  This was done to keep it the same temperature as the outside, where I had been hunting with it all day.  But the thing I discovered about the garage is..  it gets really humid in a garage.  And I think that is why I have always had trouble with contamination of the powder charge.  This year I placed the rifle in the wood room off the back of the house.  While not as cold as the outside (normally its 40 degrees out there) it is dry.  I only did this for two nights, and the rifle did fire fine.

I was thinking of loading an older rather in poor shape rifle and then do some testing with it.  And see if the rifle will fail or not fail.  It would be a good test for the rifle and the powder.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I would sure miss my basement if I did not have one.  Without one I would have no idea where the wife would banish me when I am bad,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users