Arming The Wife.....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

For Valentine's Day I thought long and hard about what would be the best thing to get the wife. Then it came to be like a bolt from above. What says I love you like the gift of protection? So today the wife and I went to Academy and looked at handguns. After $414 I got her something that will help keep her and the kids safe when I am not with them. It's a Taurus Millennium Pro Model 111SSP-12 chambered in 9mm.... She picked it out and likes the way it feels in her hands after discussing the recoil for this model and caliber she is excited to fire it. I picked up 24 rds of defensive ammo and ordered 50 rds of FMJ online that should be here in a week or 2 so I can get her out and let her shoot it. Next step afterwards is to get her a CCW permit so she can carry it with her for it's intended purpose. Without further ado here it is:

537828_604299606263974_936542352_n.jpg

Edited by TerryfromAR, 10 February 2013 - 08:09 PM.

Semper Fi

#2 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

Terry I think this is a good thing for your wife to get a CCW permit. The 9mm is a good choice for a woman. Hope she has a good instructor.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

If recoil is a concern then the 9mm will do just great for her.  My son shoot one and it will do just fine.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

An excellent choice.  Not only for women mind you.  With the new home defense ammo, they have turned the 9mm into a real man stopper.  And with less recoil, many find it much easier to shoot and to remain on target.  I am sure she will like that.  Be sure and post the range results with that model. I went to purchase a Kel Tec P11 in 9mm but when I got to the store, they were sold out.  Seems people have made quite the rush on handguns and tactical rifles (notice I did not say assault rifles).

I own a Taurus revolver and have been just a little disappointed with it.  Its a good shooter but one cylinder not only refuses to eject the spent cartridge, but it then slips under the ejection plate some how.  To be sure of a smooth ejection you have to open the cylinder, tip the revolver totally barrel pointed up, then gently push the ejector rod.  Then it will clear the cylinder.  But since this is only a squirrel hunting revolver..  I don't get real excited about the imperfection.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Robert as far as marksmanship and safety I'm going to have her schooled up before she goes. They can polish what I show her, but I'm hoping the instructor sees what she'll already know and says she's good. We've already went over loading and unloading, not to mention the mechanical safety, the type of rounds, hand position, going to work on how to aim in the next few days, for now I've kept it simple, someone is trying to get in the door that isn't supposed to, take it out, slap in a mag, work the slide and when they come through the door point it center mass,and empty the mag. I'll start her out at 10 ft which will probably annoy her but hey, she's gotta start somewhere. After a few rounds at 10 I'll move her back to 20 and let her see the difference. 20 ft doesn't seem like much but with a 3" nominal barrel 20ft feels like a long ways.

Paul how is Eric doing here lately? LOL I really like the weight and balance of this little pistol. Later on, I may have to get one for myself. I may go with the .40 rather than the 9mm but I want something a little bigger. I've got a bit more experience with firearms and I really think that a .40 will be much better for me than a 9mm.

Cayugad, I'll definately let you know. Just the way it lays in your hands is nice. My wife and I have smaller hands anyways, but I've had quite a bit of experience with different hanguns and I can tell you this one feels like it's going to be ok as far as recoil. While we're out there I may have to shoot a group or 2 myself. I'll make sure to include pics of the groups so you can see. There are videos on youtube of people shooting the same similar model. The only difference is that most have black slides where hers is a silver slide. Don't overlook Taurus because they have a great warranty. From what I have read and seen they have a lifetime parts and labor warranty for the lifetime of the firearm. Through multiple owners. Short of the firearm being completely destroyed, it should be warrantied forever. That's how it reads anyways. You might check with them on your squirrel revolver.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 14 February 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Semper Fi

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Congrats to both you and your wife. You made a good choice. :)

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Terry Eric is doing pretty good.  We are getting a bit away from guns lately though as we are into collecting a few older cub cadets and restoring them. 

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Terry,

My wife just bought her the same gun. She loves it except for the front sight seems a little too high and you can't adjust it. For home defense, no biggy. For target practice it bothers her not being able to aim it correctly because you almost have to put the rear sight at the base of the front sight to the point that the barrel of the gun is in the way to see what you are aiming at. Is your wife's gun this way??
BrandonT

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Brandon as far as I can tell, the only adjustments are left and right on hers... No elevation at all. I'm thinking I want to put a laser on it instead of actual sights just for faster acquisition. Point. Put the red dot where you want to hit, and squeeze. Is a lot easier to teach her with than lining up the sights... The problem we had is that she started off really good, and then went to pot on groups and accuracy.... Something isn't adding up.... She changed something with her form and the way she was aiming but I'm not sure what.... I tried and my groups were worse than her last ones.... I think the sights are for point blank the way they are adjusted.... I was a foot and a half low on average at 30yds....

Semper Fi

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Here is her first group at 10ft.... 944419_651548851539049_223218556_n.jpg

Semper Fi

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Nice!

Have her bring her left foot around to the right a little. Small adjustments at a time until she finds the sweet spot in her stance.

Feet are important. Like with any weapon, aiming starts from the ground up.
Posted Image

#12 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

That's about where my wife's is at. We shot at about 15 yards and it was over a foot low at that range. Hmm... Might not be our wives that are the problem after all. Lol ;-)
BrandonT

#13 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

Leo I had her standing perpendicular to the target with feet shoulder width apart. She did ok with the first group, but I can tell she was jerking the trigger which is why she was all over the place. I'm not a fan of the trigger on it anyway. No tension at all until it's at the firing point then maybe a half pound. I like to know there's a trigger there. I'll get her out more and we'll work on her form a bit more. Not to mention the fact that I really want to put a good laser on it... Any suggestions?

Brandon, maybe not, but there's got to be something to it besides just the sight set up...

Semper Fi

#14 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

On a related note... I took my Dad's Rossi 38 Spcl that I have with us and for whatever reason it's sending small frags out the side of the chamber when fired. I'm thinking timing, maybe some imperfection in the forcing cone, or maybe just cheap ammo.... I want to get the opinions of the folks here because I don't want to retire it all together. It was Dad's gun and I want to be able to pass it down to my son in perfect firing condition.

Semper Fi

#15 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

That's just the wad from the shotshell hitting after the pellets? ROFL

Seriously:

Hopefully it's the ammo and not the rifling coming out of the barrel. Wish I could help you more but without looking at it that's the best I have. Lol
BrandonT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users