• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skipper34

skipper34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have sold all of my firearms and want to go strictly with a muzzleloader for hunting.  I have had the TC Encore with 209 X 50 as well as rifle barrels.  I am trying to decide what to replace it with, either TC Pro Hunter FX or Impact.  I have no need for interchangeable barrels.  Please give me pro's and con's of each.  I want to stay with Thompson Center.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

The two rifles you picked are about as different as can be.  One is top of the line and the other is bottom of the line in the T/C line up.  Since you had a Encore, you are aware of the traits of the Pro Hunter. The Pro's of the T/C Pro hunter is its a top of the line, balanced sabot shooting machine that is expensive in muzzleloading worlds.  The Impact is the bottom of the line, but for an inline rifle, its a meat and potatoes rifle.  Which means for hunting, it would probably be all you need.  And being a T/C you are assured of quality.  You would save some money with the Impact.  But they are both basically going to do the same things.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 skipper34

skipper34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Thankyou for a very intelligent and helpful response.  I figure for a hunting arm, the Impact will do everything that the Encore did.  I will also have money leftover to put a high quality scope on it.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

A while back, I looked at the Impact and must admit, was impressed with the rifle. Then I happened on a CVA Optima. It was $50.00 less, had a stainless steel fluted barrel, quick release breech plug, excellent trigger, and a black composite stock. While I needed another rifle like a hole in the head, I purchased it. CVA has came a long way in quality. This rifle impresses the heck out of me. I then mounted a 3-9x40 Cabala's muzzleloader PowderHorn scope on it and this rifle will really shoot. Just something you might consider.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 skipper34

skipper34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I have a friend who just bought the CVA Wolf combo with the Konus scope.  That is one heck of alot of firearm for 3 bones.  Yes, I have considered the CVA's.  And yes, they have come far with their products.  Now, if I wasn't so hung up on TC I may take a closer look.  It's very hard to break old habits.  But thanks again for the suggestion.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

TC is very good standing behind their products should you ever need it. 

Any of the TC products  I ever held or shot were keepers.  Most of my experience is with their older flintlock offerings.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users