6 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Every year I try to sprout some acorns to replant & give back for what the land has provided me. Past couple seasons I wasnt able to do so for several reasons. Every year I say to myself, if I had the extra money I'd just buy some saplings..... Well I was at work doing it again back in December. Staring at the oaks from sunbright farms (http://sunbrightfarms.com/) when my supervisor walks up behind me with my kick back from the last promotion we ran. It was enough money on a prepaid visa, to cover 8 saplings & shipping. Ohh the decisions......was that fate or just $hit luck I happen to be on that site at that time. Not one to mess with karma. I ordered them immediately. Im my parts,  the game commission's sawtooth oak orchards draw deer in at predictable times, even while all the red & white oaks are dropping.  So..... I ordered 6 of them -3 standard sized & 3 gobbler sized (smaller acorn) to appeal to all the critters. I also ordered 2 nuttall oaks. I picked nuttalls since they drop late season when the deer need it. sawtooth oaks start dropping in late september through october, in my area.

sawtooth oaks- http://www.nativnurs...acutissima.aspx

nuttall oak info - http://www.nativnurs...-nuttallii.aspx

Now when I ordered them back in december I could have had them shipped as early as january. but picked march 11th instead. Now Im thinking it was to early. What do you all think? To cold to plant in march?

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Re-pot them in bigger pots and plant them later if you are at all concerned. You can keep them growing in a big enough pot for a long time. It's also not a bad way to make certain you have strong healthy saplings to plant.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I started a bunch of burr oaks a few years ago in paper and styrofoam cups.  I had 8 of them doing real well till I set them outside and by the first afternoon a squirrel dug up all but three of them for the nut still underground.  I did manage to save those three trees and later replanted them in my back yard.  Once they got up to about 5 or six feet I removed the wire I had around them and that fall deer were coming to my back yard for the chestnuts and a buck attacked two of the three oaks and several of the chestnuts.  I thought all was gone but this spring all three had leaves so I still have them.  I only hope I live long enough to be able to plant acorns from these three tough trees.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I started a bunch of burr oaks a few years ago in paper and styrofoam cups.  I had 8 of them doing real well till I set them outside and by the first afternoon a squirrel dug up all but three of them for the nut still underground.  I did manage to save those three trees and later replanted them in my back yard.  Once they got up to about 5 or six feet I removed the wire I had around them and that fall deer were coming to my back yard for the chestnuts and a buck attacked two of the three oaks and several of the chestnuts.  I thought all was gone but this spring all three had leaves so I still have them.  I only hope I live long enough to be able to plant acorns from these three tough trees.

that was why I havent had any success with them over the past several  years. I  lost 12" seedlings in early spring to squirrels & then lost some 2 footers to deer browse because I didnt cage them.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yes just when I thought things were going so well the deer (Buck) just thrashed the one and did a noticable rub on the other.  I was amazed that all three had leaves last summer.  Thankfully this last fall only one of the 5 chestnuts had any nuts and I got most of them.  My cousin lives nearme and he got pics of the buck thrashing my oaks and it was a little three point.  Thankfully it wasn't a big racked buck or he most likely would have killed them.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Well todays the day. I should have a nice little bundle waiting for me at home.

#7 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

They came in looking really good. Nice roots and about 3 feet tall. Not bad I think for $3.50 each. I potted them up and buried the pots in my vegetable garden till the weather is more stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users