• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

If you were going to order a custom Early Lancaster model flintlock what barrel length 36 inches or 42 inches would you choose? What caliber... From 50,54,58, or 62 caliber? Now take into consideration I want to hunt deer, and cast 50 @ 54 caliber. Last, is a swamped barrel really worth an extra $250.00?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I really do not know.  If I were doing the custom rifle thing.  My research would be to see what was the most common caliber of the period, ditto the barrel and whether to have a swamped barrel or not.  What did the rifle maker say?

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I am not worried about being politically correct if you know what I mean.  A swamped barrel reduces weight.  But I don't intend to carry this rifle too far.  And while I love the idea of a large bore like a .58, the .54 was more common.  So its kind of up in the air.  I have narrowed the rifles down to two different models.  They have the Seiler lock which I want.  And a deHaas barrel.  Which is an excellent barrel.  If I went swamped I could go to a Rice or Colerain barrel.  Both of them are exceptional barrels.  But from all I have read, no better then a deHaas.

http://www.avsia.com...aster_early.htm

I want to go with the German Silver finish, the extra premium wood, and the fancy patchbox.  I never liked engraving on a rifle.  But since this will be a special rifle, I want it real pretty.  I am kind of leaning towards the .54 caliber.  Only because they are easy to cast, cheaper to purchase, are a deadly deer and larger game killer, and it would make a nice flat shooter with the long barrel.  But in the barrel length, I think a 42 inch might get in the way, hunting from a ground blind.

Then other model is the late Lancaster.  The difference is the early has a wider butt stock and more meat to it. 

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

If it was me, I would go with the .54 caliber. There is virtually no logic to this other than it is what I would want for white-tail hunting. However, if I already had a cayugad-sized collection, I would likely go with whatever caliber seems to best "round out" my existing stable. (Or, possibly, whatever I am set up to shoot most often already if I wanted to take the "lazy" approach.)

As for the barrel, I am big on weight savings. (Possibly another reason to stay away from the larger calibers, for me.) This is simply because I am, figuratively speaking, a frail, little girl. So, if I went with the 42" barrel - which would likely be my first choice in the particular rifle you are looking at - it would definitely be swamped and money well spent, in my view. However, I might elect to save that money if going with a 36" barrel. (After all, in theory, a little more weight might make the rifle hold a little more steady in the field provided we're legitimately talking about a "little" and not so much that one can barely lift the rifle to begin with. See "little girl" reference above.)

So, there you have it. Clear as mud, eh? I'm glad to have helped you. :lol:  :doh: 

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well I scratched too hard.  The lady on the phone was very nice.  And so I ordered a;

Early Lancaster .58 caliber Flintlock
36 inch straight barrel (*less weight and plenty long)
premium ++ maple stock
Seiler large Flintlock with set triggers in large hardware
German silver furnishings including three piece patch box of german silver
14" LOP
deHaas or Colerain (she was unsure what they had in stock) barrel
primitive sights (of course)

I did not go swamped, because the weight is not an issue with me. Also my frugal side flared up.  But at least I went german silver and fancy patch box. I went with the shorter barrel, just in case I want to walk around with it.  Also the Early Lancaster VS the Late Lancaster has a flatter, wider, German Style bottom to reduce recoil.  I did not want the Lyman Great Plains Style for off shoulder shooting.

Now all I have to do is wait...  six months average build time. 

2011SB50423-001_zpsa27a6093.jpg

2012ll75042r1_zpscbfa0f02.jpg

Edited by cayugad, 14 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I just knew you would use your vast experience and wisdom to make the best choices.  That is going to be one beautiful rifle.  Now we have to wait along with you to see it.  I'm excited.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

The last couple days I did a lot of tossing and turning.  After all this is not the kind of rifle you order every year.  Well I suppose you could.  But I had in my mind from all the posts.. to make some changes to the order.  So..

I called TVM this morning. And talked to the builder a while. We discussed barrel weights. A-D weights. It was explained that I changed my mind and wanted a swamped barrel in 42 inch now. So it was pointed out that in order to run that as a .58 I had to go to a D weight class barrel . It was also mentioned, that D class was a heavy barrel for any shooting.. because of the length and diameter needed. So we then discussed the .54 caliber and that is 1 inch on the flats in a C class and much lighter. So it was decided.. a swamped 42 inch C class barrel. They said they order them from Rice most likely, or Colerain.

I have shot Rice barrels and they are excellent barrels. So that's my final answer as they say on TV. The early Lancaster, German silver hardware, three piece patch box, ++ maple, Seiler large lock, and a 42 inch SWAMPED barrel, either a Rice or Colerain. Probably a Rice. I decided still no engraving or silly verses on the rifle. But this will be my dream rifle. And now I just have to wait. And of course pay the bill on it.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

I wonder how many initial orders get changed at some point or another. Tht will be one beautiful rifle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users