4 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Ok, I'd like to start reloading my own ammo for my pistol. What do I need to get started? I heard theres some had tools you can use thats cheaper then buying one of the larger rigs you normally see advertised.  I want to get started but im on a tight  budget.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well first of all you must have a manual. The manual will show you not only what powder, primer bullet to use but is an excellent basics to the art of reloading. I am not sure about the hand tools but you will have to get a set of dies which for pistols is most always a three die set. The first die is a resizing die, The second die is to slightly bell the mouth of the case to allow easier bullet start into the case, and the third is a crimping die. Very recently the cost of reloading tools and supplies have gone up if you can find them.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

http://www.midwayusa...ress-master-kit  We have used this to reload .40s&w, 32.20 colt, .45acp, 44 mag, 480 ruger, .50 Desert eagle in pistol ammo, and anywhere from .223 to ,50BMG in rifle ammo. Get the carbide dies rather than steel,no lube. Need a case tumbler. Go-No go guages are a plus. Not saying this is the best, you can spend more,or less, and there are other brands. But it's a start as to what you need,equipment wise. Read up on the net. P.S. it is a lot of fun! we just recently got into molding our own bullets also, for the pistols

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Here's the truth.

You have to shoot a lot. Or you regularly shoot loads that are special and expensive to buy. To make reloading a money saving venture. So frankly don't expect to save money reloading if you just shoot a couple boxes of readily available ammo a year.

That being said I agree with PA. Get a manual. Don't blindly load based on somebodies posted "favorite". Check it with the manual and work up to it with you components and equipment.

The Rock Chucker MudDuck is suggesting is a good little press. You will need a bench you can bolt it down to. It's best to do that to a bench you can leave in place.

The RCBS 505 Scale is a good one. Even if you use calibrated powder scoops you still need a scale.

The Lee Hand primer is an easy tool. Make sure you have the right shell holder for it. But keep in mind you can prime on the press.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

To add a bit to the conversation. Most all of us got into reloading to save money. I did too. Then I found my reloads can be more or less customized to my particular firearm to provide more accuracy. This encouraged me to shoot more which affected the first reason. Then I got a rifle that was a wildcat caliber which meant I had to reload or not shoot as commercial ammo was never made for it. Overall there is a great deal of satisfaction in reloading. Most people do not save money but will for the same money shoot twice as much and more accurately
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users