• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

I certainly do not mean to steal Norms thunder but my son-in-law Kenny and I scored a double too in Kansas. Last Saturday with the temps about 30 degrees Kenny and I headed out to a spot that I had seen two longbeards several days before but they would not cooperate then. We were walking to the woods through a pasture in the dark when the birds started to sound off. Our hopes zoomed to high as we split up with me remaining at the field edge and Kenny a bit further into the woods. Those two kept sounding off till they flew down. Then our hopes fell as they walked away from both of us. We figured that they were headed to a field on the far side of the woods and headed there and set up again. This time one of the longbeards came our way and We managed to call him in and across a deep creek ditch. As it topped the near side of the creek ditch I had to move just a little to get lined up and it saw me and took off. I shot but it kept going. It became airborne but Kennys shot brought it down for keeps. He said he never shot a flying gobbler before. We picked up his bird and started back towards the truck when the gobbling started back up in the field. We hurried to the top of a hill and set up again using Kenny's gobbler as a decoy. After about 20 minutes the gobbling got closer and finally I saw two birds. Both were gobblers but one was noticably bigger. I finally got a good look at them but the bigger bird spooked before I could get lined up. I did take the smaller one making a double for us. My bird had all the indications of being a jake except that it's fan was that of a mature bird. All was well though as the turkey numbers are way down from what they were when we first started hunting there. Weather too was against us as it was cold, really cold for this time of year in Kansas.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Congrats Diganali!   See, us old foggies can still getter done. :)

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Congrats! I'm sure missing turkey hunting this year.
Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

worthless.gif

:p  :p  :p

Seriously though, congratulations all around. :) 

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

Way to go, Paul. Was wondering where you were, until Norm filled me in. Your phone is ringing!

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks all. I do have a pic or two but have to find out how to get it off my phone and into the puter.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users