Photo

Snapping Turtle Almost Got Me While I Was Bass Fishing.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 willcfish

willcfish

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

While Bass fishing I snagged into this small snapper. It almost got me and I wanted to 
lift it into the boat but my wife reminded me how much they smell. We remembered our 
brother in law showing his V-shaped 3" black and blue bruise on his back from a 12 pound 
snapper he caught turtle trapping. He had it slung over his back and it bit right through 
the gunny sack. This was just a little guy but it coulda put some hurt on me if he got a 
finger. We had some fun with it. 

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

I hate those things! LOL

I hooked into a good sized one while catfishing a couple years ago. I was actually pretty thankful when he bit through the leader just as I was devising my "release method".

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Snappers used to be pretty common where I live due to several wet weather ponds. Once when my children were young as we were eating supper we saw one in our yard. It was a fair size one, about the size of a dinner plate. I used the encounter as an education for the kids. I had work boots on and held the sole in front of that turtle and when it hit, it knocked my foot back. I then got a stick about the size of my finger and got the turtle to bite it. It cut that stick right off. I then explained to the kids that if that was their finger it too would be cut right off too. We let it go on its way but I felt it was a great educational tool. They learned not to mess with this type of turtle in a very real sort of way. I am also amazed how far they can reach out in relation to other turtles.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 willcfish

willcfish

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Jeremiah, I've had a few take my bait and cut the line off and wished they had cut it. .

PA-R.R. - Yes! They do have long necks. That was a good learning tool for the kids. 

Worst hurt I ever heard of put on someone was a beaver bit a friends foot while wading fishing walleyes. Thought he was going to bleed to death and was getting weak by the time he got to the house. He came out OK after some serious surgery. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users