• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

In my area of Minnesota, the ammo shortage (is a complete absence of ammo a shortage?) continues. .40 cal, 9mm, .45 acp, .380. Gone. .22, .223, .308. Gone. I've seen the letters written by ammo manufacturers stating they are working 24/7 to rectify the situation. They seem to think "hoarding" is the problem.Well, I don't build rockets for a living, so I'm no rocket scientist, but I do have questions. How many boxes of .45acp would one hoard at 40+ dollars for 50 rds? Does anyone know how much ammo it would take just to restock Cabellas,Gander Mountain, and all the other big stores, not to mention all the mom and pop operations? If the ammo companies are indeed working 24/7, where are all the bullets going? I know dozens of serious shooters, they can't locate ammo either. I know we just got done debating gun control, And in the proposals they said "Hunting firearms" would not be affected by the proposed legislation. Well the legislation got defeated. Now I can still buy 30.06, 30.30, .270, 7mm,.243. I can even find .44mag and .357 sometimes. But nothing in pistol that can be shot out of a semi auto, and nothing in rifle that would not be considered "traditional hunting" cals. I'm beginning to think, if you can't control the guns, then just dry up the ammo. I might buy the "hoarding" argument, for the first 2 months after the tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary,and the gun grabbers were going crazy, but I think something else is happening now. Shooting ranges in this area are vacant, even the nice indoor ones. Anybody seeing the same issues? O.K., Im done,lol 

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

If it is hoarding. It sure isn't being bought by any people I know who are using it.

Honestly, I don't suspect the government. I do suspect ammo manufacturers getting a little greedy and holding back shipments so they can bump the price up later. (When they "save" the day.)

If I'm right. Shelves will be slap full of ammo in a few months.
Posted Image

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Leo, they aren't waiting until "later" to bump the price up.When one could find a caliber like .45acp,it was in a "cheap" off-brand, steel cases that 1 year ago, a sane person wouldn't even buy for plinking.Now that ammo is selling for premium prices, when it can be found. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the "shortage" is real. Again, letters from Reminton,Federal,Winchester,CCI, etc all claim to be working 24/7.This "shortage" has really been noticeable since January (almost 5 full months). Componenents like brass cases and primers are getting harder to buy also. Again, the premium prices charged make it seem unlikely that individuals are spending the rent check to buy bullets. After touring a Federal cartridge plant near me, I saw their reloading machines, and how much ammo they could make. I wondered then where it all went, I wonder the same thing now

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

I was just to our local Walmart yesterday and stopped by their "sporting goods" dept that does sell ammo but not rifles. Although there were a few boxes of ammo on the shelf none were handgun. I asked the dept head about when their next shipment would be in and he just shrugged and said he did not know. When I saw the prices of what they had on stock I too just shrugged and walked away. As far as I am concerned this shortage has been gone on since the demonacrats took office and most of the repukelicans have not even looked into this big problem.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Paul, it's absolutely hysterical,lol! Wal-Mart here today had 3 boxes of .45acp for sale. It was Tula Ammo brand, made in Russia. What gets me laughing is the irony of that. Imagine, American shooters depending on the Russians to supply us with ammo.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

I saw a few bricks of 22 lr ammo for sale. A friend went over to the guy and asked how much. He near fell over when the guy said $96 for the brick. I just shook my head and walked away. This was at a flea market.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

The ammo is out there you just have to know where to find it. I found a local pawn shop that gets like 4 shipments a week of descent ammo. Brass case, normal stuff The prices aren't "pre-shortage" prices but not too outrageous. 2- 50 rd boxes of 22LR solid tip and a 50rd box of 9mm Luger FMJ cost me like $55 the 22LR is Federal and the 9mm is American Eagle made by Federal.

Semper Fi

#8 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Off the shelves here too!!! 9mm and .22's are the worst for being on the low to none on shelves...Many years ago I usually bought a few boxes every month(living in the boonies) so I could shoot whenever I wanted....So I have lots of 9mm and .22 shells........

I have enough hunting ammo too,but still,I hate seeing hoarders scarf up ammo when they have no intention of using it!!!

The CIA,Home Security and FBI are really scarfing up the ammo,but someone told me,they have been doing this for years...(They have warehouses full of ammo)..

I have reloading equipment so that helps on some level of peace.....I sure don't see a change to the better coming soon either!!

Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

When the scare first came out, I was at Wal Mart and they had bricks of 555 count and 333 count for Federal or Winchester.  So I purchased four of the five...   555 counts and two of the three... 333 counts.  I figured that would hold me a while in .22 shells.  Well as my friends would stop and visit, they kept eyeing up my bullet shelf.  One of them pointed out that there are no .22 shells anywhere in town.  So I smiled and told him..  yes I know,  I bought them all!  He about fell over.  Then he wanted me to sell him a brick at the pre shortage price.  So I explained I have no license to legally sell ammunition and so it would be in violation of both federal and state law..  and we would not want to be breaking the law now...  would we?

He finally came over a week ago with his kid.  And his son looked at the shells and said.. are those what we need to go squirrel hunting?  His dad said it was, but none of the stores had any.  So I broke down and gave the kid 100 shells. You'd of thought I gave them gold!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Just yesterday I was at 2 different Cabela stores.  One in KS City and the other in Wheeling WV.  They were well stocked in loaded ammo in most all the popular calibers.  I was looking for pistol powder for my son but they did not have any Winchester 231 powder and did not know when or if they would be getting any.  I did pick up another 50 rnds of Hornady 300 gr XTPs and a pack of sabots for my inline but at about twice the price I paid a couple of years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users