• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Help, I have a CVA Staghorn that my cousin gave me to clean up and hunt with about 8 months ago. When he gave it to us we needed to get a breech plug wrench and we didnt get one till recently.... so now I realise that the front of the bore and maybe all the way to the breech is very rusted and needsss cleaning! My question is, do you think the barrel is still usable or should I just toss the gun? also how do I get rid of the rust?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

What powder was used last.  I already replied to this under the Deer section.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

I have no idea what kind of powder was used last... and it might just be the very end of the barrel... I didn't get the breech plug wrench yet so I can't see very far down the barrel... I guess I just gotta hope that the barrel is still in working condition...

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

You will not know till you clean it up.  I have seen barrels that were pitted a little and still shot well. 

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

If it cleans up and the rifling is intact, with no pitting in the lands and grooves it should be fine.

Semper Fi

#6 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

I cleaned it yesterday but after 20 cleaning patches it still came out brown and rusty... so I decided to go ahead and shoot it and It shot great!! But now when I clean it I can't tell if its clean or not....

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

See my reply n the rifle section.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Since it appears you have the breech plug removed..  and don't forget, clean them thread and put anti seize on them before you replace that breech plug in the rifle...

There are a couple ways to really clean a bad condition barrel.  Get some JB Bore Paste.  With the rifle as clean as you can get it..  and the breech plug out...  put a heavy coat of gun oil in the bore of the rifle.  Now you can replace the breech plug BUT DON'T CRANK IT DOWN.  All we want to do is cover them threads. Also remove the trigger from the rifle.  There are two screws that hold them on.  Don't loose the washers!

Now open the JB Bore Paste.  Its black looking or dark gray in color.  I like to take a wooden stick from like a ice cream treat, and stir that stuff a little.  It gets the grit, mixed into the cleaning oil.  Next you want A LOT OF CLEANING PATCHES.  Also these patches should fit nice and tight.  Remember there is oil in the bore of the rifle.  Apply the JB Bore Paste to the patch.  And with a cleaning Jag, start that tight bore past patch in the barrel.  It helps if there is someone else, or a vice, to hold the barrel.

In a steady motion..  NO SCRUBBING IN LITTLE THREE INCH SPURTS.. in a stead motion push that patch to the breech plug and then pull it all the way out.  Do that about ten times with THAT  patch.  Now change patches.  New patch, new Bore Paste.  Again do about ten to twenty strokes.  You will notice the patch comes out black.  That's because it is pulling everything out of that barrel.  I like to do about three patches like that.

Now remove the plug.  First run solvent patches through the barrel.  If you can, work from the breech to the muzzle so you don't push that all back onto the breech threads. After a few solvent patches, start pushing clean dry patches through the barrel.  When they come out clean, look through the barrel at a light.  Now you can see if there is pitting or large rusted areas.  If there are, you might never get a clean patch.  But that does not mean the rifle is lost.  After you have the barrel clean, again, apply a good quality gun oil to the barrel.  Be sure you clean the threads good with a thread cleaning brush.  And then anti seize the plug and replace it.

JB Bore paste will remove rust, copper, lead, plastic, and any other nasty things from inside the barrel.  A friend gave me a rifle he claimed was a total loss once.  Same thing.. forgot to clean it.  Rusted mess.  I Bore Pasted that rifle for over four hours.  And while the bore is pitted, and it always throws a light gray patch when clean, it is a heck of a shooter.

Some other things you can use is comet powder.  BUT Comet is an abrasive, so keep that in mind.  I have also seen people use tooth paste instead of JB Bore paste.  But again, that's an abrasive.  JB Bore Paste will NOT remove any metal from the inside of the bore.

Hope this helped.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

I used JB in the manner that Cayugad explained and although my bore was not rusted, it came out like a mirror. As I recall I stroked 25 times per patch and used 4 patches. You absolutely have to let the cleaning rod follow the rifling as you work that bore. Keep in mind you are trying to clean out the rifling, not grind off the rifling. If this does not work out for you trade it for a flintlock as "Real men shoot flintlocks".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users