• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Help, I have a CVA Staghorn that my cousin gave me to clean up and hunt with about 8 months ago. When he gave it to us we needed to get a breech plug wrench and we didnt get one till recently.... so now I realise that the front of the bore and maybe all the way to the breech is very rusted and needsss cleaning! My question is, do you think the barrel is still usable or should I just toss the gun? also how do I get rid of the rust?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Is that a black powder rifle.  What powder was used when it was shot.  If it were mine I would scrub it real good with a nylon brush.  I would use a foaming cleaner like wipe Out.  Hoppes Elite foaming cleaner works pretty well too.  I would fill the bore and let it sit for a half hour or so and begin the scrubbing.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Scrub, scrub scrub, when you think you've got all the rust out by doing what Paul (PA RidgeRunner) said, look through the barrel from the breech end with the muzzle pointed toward a good light source, make your determination on whether to toss it or not based on whether there is pitting in the lands and grooves or not.

Semper Fi

#4 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

I cleaned it yesterday but after 20 cleaning patches it still came out brown and rusty... so I decided to go ahead and shoot it and It shot great!! But now when I clean it I can't tell if its clean or not....

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Do you have a brass bore brush? If you do, soak it in solvent and run it from breech to muzzle about 3 or 4 times that should get the bulk of everything out. I'm guessing it's a 50 cal muzzleloader. If you don't get it good and clean the groups are most likely not going to be where you want them to be. Get it good and clean and you should be in good shape.

Semper Fi

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

I have seen, heard, and read about pitted black powder barrels still shooting quite well.  You might look into a bore product called JB Bore Paste.  Go easy with this as it is an abrasive.  I have used this by placing a little on a patch and running it up and down the barrel 25 times and changing to a clean patch and a little more bore paste for another 25 swabs and continuing until I have used 4 patches and 100 swabs.  It cleaned my bore to a good shine although that bore was not rusted.  I was just trying to smooth the bore.  After the 100 swabs I used solvent to be sure all the jb bore paste was removed.  Use a patch that fits fairly tight so it follows the rifling as you do not want to wear down the rifling in the process of rust removal.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users