• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

What should I hunt with,a 870 20-gauge shotgun or a 770 .243 rifle?

#2 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

The one that you are most comfortable using as either will get the job done. The 243 will be a little better for longer shots with the heavier bullets.

MR300WM

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

Depends on the terrain you're hunting. If you're hunting open fields and have clear long-range shots, then I'd say the .243. If you're hunting in an area with short shots and lots of brush I'd go with the 20ga.

Semper Fi

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

I would definately go with the 243.  A shotgun with slugs/buckshot is considered a short range affair.  A 243 can be used as either a short range or long range deer getter.  I personally have killed 15 or more deer with a 243 and several with a smoothbore and slugs and buckshot.  Every one killed with the shotgun required a followup shot only one with the 243.  Many people have a vision of a big heavy slow bullet plowing through brush and hitting the target.  That just does not happen.  When a bullet contacts brush, it deflects no matter the size and weight of that projectile.  If your shotgun is a slug gun with rifling it can be made to shoot much more accurate than a smoothbore

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

The shotgun does have a rifled barrel and I am probably going to be hunting in a swamp or a hilly field...

#6 Jonah

Jonah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

I also have the option of hunting with a mosin nagant carbine 7.62x54R

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'd go with the 7.62x54.... It's a heavy bullet, and has some range as well.

Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users