• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Today I finally made the time to do a little shooting with my inline muzzleloader that I will be taking to Kansas to miss another record book buck. I took a shot at 50 yds and had to adjust the sight down. That could have explained why I missed a huge buck last year. Of course I moved the scope the wrong way and took another shot and that would have absolutely assured a miss. I readjusted the scope and got it right this time. I wanted just over an inch high at 50 yds. I then moved the target back to 75 yds and fired 3 shots that averaged about 7/8 inches high. I think I am ready for that buck of a lifetime this time around. At least the rifle is ready.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Well I hope you don't miss this time..... I'm itching to get in the woods here this year.... September can't pass by fast enough.

Semper Fi

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I sure do not want to wish Sept away because I have a Sept Kansas tag burning a hole in my pocket. I also plan to see Spirithawk on the way out so Sept will be the start of fun.

#4 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Our archery deer season opens Sept 28th and I'm ready for it. I've got access to a 24-acre spot that has lots of deer on it, and lots of feral pigs. The price of admission is, if I see a sow I have to pop her and give the lease holder some of the meat. I told him if I saw a sow I'd pop her and call him to come get her. I have no problems expending an extra arrow or bullet on a pig for someone I know will use it. Not to mention I at least owe him the attempt for setting me up with a spot of land 30 minutes from my house rather than 2hrs.

Semper Fi

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming hunt.  Since your sighted in, you should be all set.  Just take your time and relax..  although with record bucks in front of you that is hard, and pick your shot.  You can do it.  And we will be waiting for pictures and the story.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Last years miss was mostly my fault but the buck came in behind me through an open field. I could only get partially turned around and turned my body as far as I could and just barely got the rifle lined up for the shot. I should have waited a bit longer but my body was in revolt to the position. I did take a buck but not the big one I missed. We have an opportunity to hunt private land that the owner operates a guided hunt from. Because we are going to take a couple of does we get to hunt for free. Last year we saw three huge bucks but never got a shot at them.

#7 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

That idea of waiting is a double edged sword.  One of the largest bucks I ever had the opportunity to take was in a bad spot to shoot.  And all I could have done was shot it in the back of the head.  But my mind kept seeing the rack getting distroyed.  So I waited for a better shot.  And like all the smart bucks he left by way of a tree covering his path.  I never got a shot but I sure got a thrill.  I hope you get a chance for the deer you want.  But shooting a nice fat doe is sure a nice thing to see too.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users