New Spot! New Tactics! Better Luck?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well all, after nearly 3 decades of hunting family land in Nevada Co. Arkansas, I'm giving up on that spot. The deer are too sporadic, if they do come through it's rare, and I can't get deer on my property during the season because it sounds like a war-zone all around me. I'm going to try hunting a spot about 20 min from my house instead of the 2hr one-way drive it takes to go to Rosston. I was out at the new spot today and it's littered with game trails everywhere. I set up a gamecam and some foodstuffs where 4 trails meet in hopes of gauging what's coming through. There's feral pigs and whitetail on this property. We trimmed out 1 sweet gum tree that was dead center of the shooting lane and a couple of branches, but we left it mostly alone. It's a small plot, and where I'm hunting is easy to get to. This is the first time I've got to lay eyes on it but it looks promising. I also picked up a new hang on stand. I do need to pick up some tree steps to go with, but I'm satisfied with the stand itself right now.. I'm probably waiting about 2 weeks before I go back, but when I do I'll get some pictures and see what ya'll think.

Semper Fi

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

Sounds good.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

6 days, 181 pictures....... New spot is looking GOOD!!!!

1231596_724205244273409_1004479332_n.jpg1237643_724204190940181_1244898895_n.jpg1000005_724206994273234_2129422952_n.jpg

Semper Fi

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Looks promising!

Posted Image

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

I haven't been this excited about a season in a while......

Semper Fi

#6 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

Good luck Terry smack some of those hogs.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

J I'm hoping for a pig, and a couple of deer. LOL Thanks

Semper Fi

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Unless I'm looking wrong or a couple are the same one just busted up more in the later pics than the earlier pics, I'm pretty sure there's at least 6 different bucks coming through.

Semper Fi

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

Looks good.  Just pay attention to the wind and your scent and you will need a big buck pole come season.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

....... Deer are gone, and now have a whole herd of pigs that I'm working on eliminating.... :curse:

Semper Fi

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Pigs are awful for deer populations.  A landowner friend asked me if releasing wild pigs on his property was a good idea.  I told him if he never wanted to hunt anything except pigs that was the way to do it. 

Had them ruin a spot or two for me in the past Terry.  I'm sorry.  Take some of the out and they might move on.

Posted Image

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

I hope you're right about them moving on after a few are taken out..... I'm thinking about putting the food stuffs out again, and just making sure that the trap is the most heavily fed area..... deer can jump in and out, but the hogs are trapped if they go in..

Semper Fi

#13 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Place looks great Terry. My brother-in-laws place got taken over with hogs in Iowa. He went through before he sold it and took a bunch out. Haven't found out what the new land owner is seeing but the hogs did raise havoc on the deer population. Have a great season.

Steve

#14 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Steve

Semper Fi

#15 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

I hope you're right about them moving on after a few are taken out..... I'm thinking about putting the food stuffs out again, and just making sure that the trap is the most heavily fed area..... deer can jump in and out, but the hogs are trapped if they go in..

Put a short fence around all your feed areas.  If the hogs get access to your feed they will not leave.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users